• Show
Clear All
  • JeffW
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • San Antonio, Texas, USA.
    • BT3100

Planing end grain bamboo cutting board

I started making 4 bamboo end grain cutting board for family and found that bamboo is extremely difficult to sand. I can sit with 60 grit sandpaper and it has hardly any effect.

I do not have access to a drum sander and don't even want to try the planer to smooth it out. I am thinking about making a router sled to even things out.

Will using a router sled rip out the bamboo? I was thinking of very small amount each pass.
    Measure twice, cut once, screw it up, start over
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by JeffW
    I started making 4 bamboo end grain cutting board for family and found that bamboo is extremely difficult to sand. I can sit with 60 grit sandpaper and it has hardly any effect.

I do not have access to a drum sander and don't even want to try the planer to smooth it out. I am thinking about making a router sled to even things out.

Will using a router sled rip out the bamboo? I was thinking of very small amount each pass.
    With a very sharp bit, you may get good results. You'll know right away. Bamboo shreads easily. You may try 100x and see if that works better than 60x, which might be too coarse.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Jeff, what do you mean you don't have access to a drum sander? Bring them up here Sunday and run them through mine.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

welcome back, Jeff. Haven't heard from you in a while.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-23-2012, 09:42 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JeffW
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • San Antonio, Texas, USA.
          • BT3100

Don, thanks for the offer. I found some 50 grit sandpaper for my table top belt sander and that was able to smooth thing out. But do appreciate the offer. Next time I go blasting through SM I'll give you a call.

Loring. Been out of the shop for a while. The past 3 years as boss have been super busy. Only 2 more years it will be time for me to bail.

Thanks......Jeff
          Measure twice, cut once, screw it up, start over

Comment

Working...