• Show
Clear All
  • billwmeyer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Weir, Ks, USA.
    • BT3000

Jewelry box necklace hanger

I am trying to repair/ restore a jewelry box that was damaged in my daughters house fire a few years ago. It was smoke damaged and scorched. It was originally stained, but it will have to be painted to repair it. This is not a high dollar jewelry box, but my mother gave it to her when she graduated from high school and she is highly attached to it.

I can't find a source for the little spinning necklace hanger that is attached the top of the box. There were two of them and one melted. The other is unharmed. They are a brown plastic. The only thing I could find are brass ones from, I think Woodcraft, but they are 39.99 each. The brass will not go well, and I wanted to spend much less than that. Does anyone have a source? They are about 3" across.

Thanks for the help!

Bill
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Maybe you could make one like this.

http://www.popwatchers.com/Collectib...ing+tree+stand

Comment

• billwmeyer
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Weir, Ks, USA.
      • BT3000

Thanks Cabinetman, but what I need is this:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...6&site=ROCKLER

It fastens into the top of the jewelry box and necklaces or chains hang from it. The damaged box had two of them, one is still good the other had melted and broken.

These are solid brass and $40 each and the existing one won't match, so I would have to get two of them. As much as i would like to, I cannot afford that this year. I was hoping someone had a source to a plastic one more in my price range.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

How about making one with small shaker pegs like these. You could make a round frame to rotate and attach the way you want...just an idea.

Comment

• scmhogg
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
          • BT3000

This might work, if you take it apart, or you could make two out of plastic. I don't think you really need ball bearings, to allow it to rotate.

http://www.easycomforts.com/EasyComf...68&icmp=search

Steve
          I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Bill - have you considered making your own? Looking at the Rockler version, I was reminded of doll house door knobs, which you might mount on a shaft with a larger knob on top to rotate. Not sure how small these come, not being familiar with 1/4, 1/2 or 1in doll house scales...
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• billwmeyer
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Weir, Ks, USA.
              • BT3000

Thanks guys!

I had considered making my own, but anything I thought of was pretty tacky, like cup hooks, etc. I really like the dollhouse door knobs - I didn't even know they existed, and the shaker pegs. I also like the idea of buying something cheap and taking out the part I need - Steve's suggestion. I think I can make one of these work!
              Thanks again!

Bill

Comment

Working...