• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivwshane
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Sacramento CA

Trouble spraying acrylic

I'm at the final stage of finishing my laundry room cabinets and I successfully sprayed the primer without thinning.
    http://www.kellymoore.com/products/ps_295_uni_primea

Now I'm trying to spray the final coat (dura poxy) and it just wont flow out with any usability.
    http://www.kellymoore.com/products/p...nex/dura-poxy/

The paint appears to be thinner than the primer so I don't understand why it wouldn't work. I'm using this harbor freight gun:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...gun-92841.html

I have adjusted every knob possible and the best I get is a very fine mist that barely leaves any paint on the surface. I have also adjusted the air pressure at the compressor with no luck.

I know I can thin it with water or floetrol but I just don't understand why it wont work and why the primer did.

Is there gun that I can spray the acrylic with without thinning it that will give me good results?
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Sure but it is a lot more money. My Fuji mini mite 3 should do it but it costs over 500.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

You can use an ordinary siphon gun, or an HVLP. I've tried the LVLP guns and don't like them. That gun should shoot that media. Something my have plugged up the fluid flow, needle,tip. If the previous media has dried at all in the gun, use lacquer thinner to clean. Run it through the gun after cleaning the individual parts, and adjust fluid flow to clean it out.

Comment

• ivwshane
        Established Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Sacramento CA

Do I need more air pressure? That's the only thing I didn't try but the last time I did too much air pressure I blew the can up

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I've had mixed results spraying acylic latex, but for the most part have been rather successful.

I've used only siphon feed guns, and have not yet tried an HVLP. I've used that little "touch-up" spotting gun (like pint-size container with overhead trigger) with good success and also a C-H siphon gun. Both have 1.8 mm knozzles, so I would certainly think your gun with a 2.0 mm nozzle should work even better.

I see the specs say to use 20 psi. Frankly, even my little air brush requires more pressure than that, so it doesn't seem quite enough to lift a heavier acrylic. I generally use about 45 psi in either of the two guns I described. Certainly not too much higher.

It sounds like there's some kind of restriction somewhere. Is the vent-hole open? You've had success with the primer with this gun, so something must have happened since then, I would think.

First thing I would do is dump the acrylic out, add thinner (water) to the container and see if the spray clears and is sufficient once again. If not, clean the gun and it's passages thoroughly.

Is your acylic well mixed and without any debris or lumps (pour it through a course screen if necessary).

Good luck,

CWS
          Last edited by cwsmith; 11-12-2012, 07:42 PM.
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• ivwshane
            Established Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Sacramento CA

It must have been a clog because now it works, sort of I think I broke the sprayer trying to clean it.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

That's good news...sort of.

Comment

• ivwshane
                Established Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Sacramento CA

What can I say, I'm an idiot

One would think that the siphon tube would be threaded and easily removed, nope:|

Comment

Working...