• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Decals on wood and under varnish?

I am in the process of building the Bistro stools for our daughter and SIL that were in the Wood Magazine about a year or so ago. The chairs will be used in a protected area and not exposed to the weather full time.

I am making them out of red oak and since they are sailing enthusiasts, I want to put some sailing clipart decals on the top of the chair. I am considering putting a coat of varnish on first to seal the wood then apply 2 or 3 coats after the decal has been applied.

Any thoughts on how successful this would be. Also, what would be the best varnish to use. It would have to be clear since I will also be wood burning a few clipart pictures also
    TIA
    Lago
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

That sounds really cool Lago. I'm not sure that you would want to coat the decal with varnish though... If I were doing it I would probably go with something like lacquer or shellac that would adhere the decal. Build over it using the same and then poly over for increased resistance to the elements.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

A clear gloss polyurethane would work, but it would add a slight amber tone with multiple coats. You could use a two part pour on bar top epoxy. One pour would likely be sufficient.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

you have to be careful that the coating you apply over the decals does not dissolve the decals or the decal adhesive.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• downtheroad
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2007
          • So. California
          • Ryobi BT3000

Our shop had a client who inherited her mother's antique baby grand piano. Her mother had it refinished in the mid '60s. She distinctly remembered the piano as being a Baldwin, but it had a Knabe decal on the fallboard. We were called in to do some touchup and "deluxing" on several furniture pieces, including the piano. After we located some numbers in several places on the piano, she was able to verify online that it was indeed a Baldwin and not a Knabe, and her memory was correct. When her mother had it refinished, the Knabe decal was used by the refinisher. I guess this is a common practice?

She was able to locate online a source for piano decals and asked if we could replace the decal with the proper one. We did this for her after learning the procedure from the decal manufacturer's online site. We used the varnish transfer (VT) type that we got from them and it worked out very well. We used sprayed light mist coats of thinned Zinsser SealCoat before topcoating with waterborne polyurethane.

Here's their site's application procedure page for VT style decals:
          http://www.pianoatlas.com/vt.html
          Tony

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

If you read the instructions, they are somewhat hilarious.... test varnish tackiness by using nose. If it tends to stick to the end of your nose, its not ready, lol
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by downtheroad
              Our shop had a client who inherited her mother's antique baby grand piano. Her mother had it refinished in the mid '60s. She distinctly remembered the piano as being a Baldwin, but it had a Knabe decal on the fallboard. We were called in to do some touchup and "deluxing" on several furniture pieces, including the piano. After we located some numbers in several places on the piano, she was able to verify online that it was indeed a Baldwin and not a Knabe, and her memory was correct. When her mother had it refinished, the Knabe decal was used by the refinisher. I guess this is a common practice?

She was able to locate online a source for piano decals and asked if we could replace the decal with the proper one. We did this for her after learning the procedure from the decal manufacturer's online site. We used the varnish transfer (VT) type that we got from them and it worked out very well. We used sprayed light mist coats of thinned Zinsser SealCoat before topcoating with waterborne polyurethane.

Here's their site's application procedure page for VT style decals:
              http://www.pianoatlas.com/vt.html
              you might be interested in this discussion thread.
              http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbt...ics/48438.html
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• lago
                Established Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Lago Vista, TX.

NOt ready at this point to apply the actual decals but guess I need to do some test applications.

CA is used widely to apply to decals on pens and I have done a few on some cartridge pens. I can also do a test on that and then followup with a final coat of varnish.

Lago

Comment

• lago
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Lago Vista, TX.

I forgot to mention that after I print the decal, I let the ink dry and then it is sprayed with 2-3 coats of a clear lacquer spray.

Comment

• downtheroad
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2007
                    • So. California
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by chopnhack
                    If you read the instructions, they are somewhat hilarious.... test varnish tackiness by using nose. If it tends to stick to the end of your nose, its not ready, lol
                    Yup, I remember we got a chuckle when we read that, too.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    you might be interested in this discussion thread.
                    http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbt...ics/48438.html
                    Loring, thanks for the link. Our client's piano was circa 1911 if I remember correctly. It just seems odd that the Knabe decal was used on the Baldwin.
                    Tony

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

I've done many decals and other varied paper type applications under finishes, and have used a light coating of the finish coat for the first coat to stick the item. Air bubbles have to be eliminated.

Comment

• iceman61
                        • Oct 2007
                        • West TN
                        • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by lago
                        I forgot to mention that after I print the decal, I let the ink dry and then it is sprayed with 2-3 coats of a clear lacquer spray.
                        Exactly right.

If you print decals from an inkjet printer and don't do a few light sprays to seal the decal, you run the risk of the ink running or leaching out ruining your nice decal. Laserjet printers are not as prone to this. I think Testors makes a decal sealer but you can use regular "rattle can" lacquer.

Also, don't cut your decals out before you spray them. The decal's edges may stick to whatever backing you have laid it on. It's alot easier to leave the whole sheet intact, spray to seal, then cut your decals out.

Comment

Working...