Cutting relatively thick metal. Ideas needed.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Sounds good! Would get a sweet comment, but there was no picture to justify ;-) In due time I am sure.

GL with the the reno! Can't wait to get some time and money together, preferably at the same time, to continue mine.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• jdon
      Established Member
      • Feb 2010
      • Snoqualmie, Wash.
      • BT3100

So... how did you end up cutting the steel, after all the recs?

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Sorry for the redirect to a different forum, but I go into painful detail on it on www.f150online.com forum... My thread is HERE.

The cutting is done / being done mostly by HF cutoff wheel in my cheap B&D angle grinder.

All I have left to do is slot and drill the bumper for the roller fairlead, and install everything / wire it up and I am done. But that is going to have to wait. My electrcian will be at the house next Friday and I still have sheetrock on my garage wall!

But THIS progress pic should tide you over for a little bit...
        Last edited by dbhost; 10-04-2012, 04:28 PM.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jseklund
          Established Member
          • Aug 2006

Looks good - If I wasn't late to the game, I would have suggested the cutoff wheel / angle grinder too. I used to use recip/jig saws for cutting through metal...but I picked up an angle grinder with a bunch of tools that a retiring contractor was selling a couple years ago. Not realizing how useful the angle grinder was, it sat unused for quite a while.

I finally used it for a situation that needed some metal cutting and haven't looked back ever since - it now gets used on all sorts of metal cuts.

Good job.
          F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

Working...