• Show
Clear All
  • BeauxTi
    Established Member
    • Jan 2012
    • Georgetown Texas
    • Ryobi BT300

Wood flooring??

Have any of you used wood flooring for things other than wood flooring? I have some left over oak that I am thinking on using for drawer fronts. Got me to thinking about other things. Curious - Solid wood/ Laminate/ Bamboo/ cork/ etc... Let me know...
    Beaux Ti -

If you see a Bomb Tech running, follow him....
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

I have half a box of 3/4" oak flooring left over from our remodel, so I'm curious to see what ideas people have, too.
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• lago
      Established Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Lago Vista, TX.

I had 3 or 4 boxes of Brazilian Red Cherry left over from a flooring job. I used some to make a step stool so the grandsons could reach the lavatory. Also used some to make some small boxes. Just pulled out a piece today to cut down and see what it will look like if it is turned into a pen.

Lago

Comment

• mineengineer
        Established Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
        • BT3000 and BT3100 Frankensaw

Many times

I used clearance laminate flooring from lowes for 5 bucks a box as the final built up layer for a bunch of steel workbench/labcabinet tops. The bottom two layers were scrap/old 3/4 inch particleboard from old knock down furniture. The tops were 16 and 7 feet long so using the laminate made it easier to build them in place. I then used leftover 3/4 by 2 1/4 tongue and grove oak solid flooring for the edges of the countertops. I cut off the tongue and then lightly sanded the corners to make the edges not so sharp and then just banded the tops so that you couldnt see the built up layers. Glue doesnt really stick to well to the laminate so glue ups are easy to do on the benches and the laminate is really duralble and if I get a big dent or gauge on the tops I just have to replace one section of the laminate. The benchtops also look better than my kitchen countertops and cost a lot less.
        Link

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Oh yea, wood is wood. I picked up a lot of maple from a condo project where they had to replace a lot of it. Much of it needed to have the staples removed. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=38012

I've used it for boxes, trays, zero clearance plates, misc trim pieces, knife handles, shop jigs, and lots of other things. The stuff was prefinished, but a few passes in the planer took care of that. I had a set of older knives I saved just for the flooring.
          Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

there was a member here whose by line was something like the Wood flooring guy and he found all sorts of uses for laminated wood flooring, one of which was BT3 throat plates.

Anyone remember who that was?
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• bigstick509
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Macomb, MI, USA.
              • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              there was a member here whose by line was something like the Wood flooring guy and he found all sorts of uses for laminated wood flooring, one of which was BT3 throat plates.

Anyone remember who that was?
              Scottydont, always enjoyed his posts but has not been active. I seem to remember a divorce and sell off of tools were involved in his leaving.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• cwsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                • BT3100-1

I haven't had any occasion to pick up or have left over wood flooring. But, a few years ago, I managed to pickup a dozen of so pieces of maple. For that little amount, it made a perfect "portable" work table. I edge glued 6 -8 pieces together and ended up with two roughly 12-inch wide piecs about six or so feet long.

Spanning two foldable saw horses, it's proved to be a very strong work table. Sometimes used "split" and sometimes just pushed together it's proven to be quite adequate for a number of support and work table applications and it's easy to store or transport.

CWS
                Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• greenacres2
                  • Dec 2011
                  • La Porte, IN
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by cwsmith
                  I haven't had any occasion to pick up or have left over wood flooring. But, a few years ago, I managed to pickup a dozen of so pieces of maple. For that little amount, it made a perfect "portable" work table. I edge glued 6 -8 pieces together and ended up with two roughly 12-inch wide piecs about six or so feet long.

Spanning two foldable saw horses, it's proved to be a very strong work table. Sometimes used "split" and sometimes just pushed together it's proven to be quite adequate for a number of support and work table applications and it's easy to store or transport.

CWS
                  I like that idea a lot. I've got 2 4 x 4's and a sheet of 1/2 ply I use so 2 or 3 smaller panels I could push together as needed would be much easier to deal with!

Earl

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

some people make ZCTPs for their BT3s

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...+flooring+ZCTP
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cwsmith
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

Earl,

Here's a photo, the "portable bench" is on the right. It doesn't show much of the maple flooring/table (it's the bottom piece under all that project stack and the drilling template), but you get the idea and at least on the forward piece, you can get an idea of the approximate length.

With the maple, it's somewhat heavy so having two pieces and a "split" table makes it easier to move around and at only about six foot, stairs and doorways are less challenging.

As a "split" it also allows me to rip sheet stock right down the middle too. And (another idea), I also use them as a light-weight ramp for getting things like the push mower or an occasion box in and out the back of the van.

CWS
                      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• hophop
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Aug 2009

I had lots of solid ash flooring planks left over so I finger-jointed them end to end to make the planks longer. Then I glue them face to face to make wider slabs. I have yet to make enough of them to be my workbench though.

I have glued click-on laminates flooring edge to edge to use as drawer bottoms and cabinet backs (shop furniture only).

Comment

Working...