• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I am blaming Erik (Pelligrini)

which isn't necessarily a bad thing... he suggested I joint the 9' pecan board I am working with by hand with a hand plane, and... well after failing to figure out just HOW to do this with the machines I have available (9' is too long for a plywood planer sled), I went to the cabinet and dug out my Groz #7 and gave it a whirl... A couple of things I noticed...

#1. Even with my minimal setup, I can get whispy shavings out of that #7 no problem.

#2. I should have included a board jack in my bench design.

#3. I should have spent more time sharpening. even though I am getting whispy shavings, I just KNOW I can do better...

#4. My garage workshop should NOT be 78 degrees in March!! Yes I worked up a good sweat working on this thing.

I know I am doing this the wrong way, but it's all I could think to do. Edge joint it, so I have a straight edge for the fence, then clip the ends straight so I can set the whole shebang up against the bench dogs without it racking. I will have to set up my adjustable height sawhorses to hold up some of these, but basically this thing will rest on the table saw extension table, which I need to set the legs 1/16" shorter so there won't be a bow, and then on the sawhorses until I come to the end of the board. I might just slide the bench over, and just go bench to sawhorses so I am supporting mostly with the bench... But I am finding wall problems. This is one BIG piece of wood!

The particular piece we are using, LOML and I selected after a PAINFUL amount of digging through Clarks stash of Pecan / Hickory, and it was chosen for its color, and grain, and each pass of the plane make me happier, and happier we picked this particular piece.

Tonight is a bit more time with drywall mud, I messed an area up and I need to redo it, and then out to the shop and my planes. I know that the Groz planes earned a poor reputation. And maybe some of the earlier ones deserved it, but you couldn't prove it by me with this #7... I am a happy camper!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Yea, honing often sure does help. I still have a habit of waiting too long between honings.

Can you clamp it to the face of your bench on the long side with some pipe clamps underneath the bench top?

Another way to edge joint is to put the board on top of another known flat board on top of your flat bench and just shoot the edge. If the side of your plane isn't perpendicular with the iron, you can play with the lateral adjust. With your long board you'll have to do it in a couple sections.
    Erik

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Actually, the edge jointing I am finding to be pretty easy... It's the flattening that is a bit daunting...

Not sure if the iron is just dulling REALLY fast, or I didn't have it quite sharp enough to begin with. Probably a little of both... But then again, I haven't had too bad dulling issues with #4 or 5... And I go through plenty of oak, walnut etc... with it...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...