What are those kind of casters called, and where do you get them?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

What are those kind of casters called, and where do you get them?

Okay, I am pulling a brain blank here guys... Those casters you push down with your foot, what are they called, and who sells them?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • jdon
    Established Member
    • Feb 2010
    • Snoqualmie, Wash.
    • BT3100

When you say "push down with your foot", do you mean the metal lever- usually on top- which locks the wheel? If so, they're called "locking casters"

Heard say Grizzly sells some nice, inexpensive ones; I got some that appear to be similar (polyurethane wheels) from Amazon, and a bit cheaper IIRC- ~ $8 each.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Nope. I am talking about the kind that Rockler includes in their mobile base hardware kit...

I am mostly thinking out loud as it were... I need to make the table saw and workbench more mobile, and am churning ideas around. The BT is a tough one because I have the extension table on it... I am mostly thinking right now how to make one of those workstation cabinets for the BT with the extensions mobile, AND be able to retract the wheels all the way off the floor... I want it good and solid when the casters are locked, so I don't really want casters...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Are you referring to height adjustable casters (foot operated) like these.
        http://www.nationwideindustrialsuppl...ht-floor-lock/

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

I was somewhere in the last few weeks and saw those on some machine. I was intrigued with the operation. A little higher priced than I wanted to pay but I was really impressed with how smooth the action was and how well it worked.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• JSUPreston
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Montgomery, AL.
            • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Found it on Amazon:
            http://www.amazon.com/Rockler-Foot-L.../dp/B001DT15O2

Very similar to the casters in the Delta mobile base kits that were clearanced a few years ago.
            "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Brian G
              • Jun 2003
              • Bloomington, Minnesota.
              • G0899

This kind, perhaps?

Workbench Caster Kit
              Brian

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

I've seen them refered to as 'retractable casters'.

This place has some economy steel floor locks like Cabinetman posted: http://www.castersupply.com/NAV/store_floorlocks.htm

Woodcraft carries these: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...g-Casters.aspx They don't look all that strong to me.
                Erik

Comment

Working...