• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • All Thumbs
    Established Member
    • Oct 2009
    • Penn Hills, PA
    • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Masonite is to hardboard what Xerox is to photocopiers.

Most people know it as one, or the other, and aren't much help if you use the term they're unfamiliar with.

Comment

• BeauxTi
      Established Member
      • Jan 2012
      • Georgetown Texas
      • Ryobi BT300

Close call- thought I had it - there was a lowes about 15 miles away that had stock of what was described on the Lowes web site as - smooth on both sides - guess that is an opinion - called to confirm, then took the trip - my mistake - I should have asked if both sides were the same. Back to the Quest......
      Beaux Ti -

If you see a Bomb Tech running, follow him....

Comment

• Dal300
        Banned
        • Aug 2011
        • East Central Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Beauxti, did you see my post about McCoy's?

Comment

• pecker
          Established Member
          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by BeauxTi
          Close call- thought I had it - there was a lowes about 15 miles away that had stock of what was described on the Lowes web site as - smooth on both sides - guess that is an opinion - called to confirm, then took the trip - my mistake - I should have asked if both sides were the same. Back to the Quest......
          I'm across the country in Baltimore. I could use a sheet of the same thing you're looking for, and it doesn't exist here. In fact I just came fro the Wurth Wood Group, the biggest distributor here for Masonite, Wilsonart, Formica type products. The only thing they carry is 1/8" thick, smooth one side.

The big box stores here carry 1/8 and 3/16, but it's about 1/32" thinner and is poor quality.
          I have to think that the "good" stuff you could buy a decade ago is just not sold anymore.

I actually had a small scrap piece of 1/4" smooth on both sides that I got from Home Depot long ago and threw it away during a recent shop cleanup. It might have been a collector's item.

Comment

• BeauxTi
            Established Member
            • Jan 2012
            • Georgetown Texas
            • Ryobi BT300

Dale - did go to McCoy's - not sure they can order for me. Here is the Lowe's link that lead me astray - they say "Smooth finish on both sides" again does not say the same smooth finish on both sides. I will keep looking , but will complete my project with something else. Updates when i find it!
            Beaux Ti -

If you see a Bomb Tech running, follow him....

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think its a mythical beast!
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by sailor55330
                As a last resort, could you laminate two 1/8" one-sided pieces to get to 1/4" Not sure if it would swell and distort from the moisture in the glue but it popped into my simple little mind.
                They could be glued back to back with yellow glue or solvent based contact cement without recourse.

Comment

Working...