• Show
Clear All
  • BeauxTi
    Established Member
    • Jan 2012
    • Georgetown Texas
    • Ryobi BT300

Looking around the Garage

Maybe some one has a recommended site - I took apart a big rolling storage cabinet to make some space. I want to build a small 58"X28" - 6"deep cabinet with the 3/4 Plywood (left over). This is for the Garage so not looking for furniture grade cabinetry just something with 4 shelves and simple split doors. I plan on putting up some French Cleats to hang it. I just want it to be sturdy and functional. Any suggestions would be appreciated. You all have been pretty right on the money in the past, so I am going back to the Well.
    Beaux Ti -

If you see a Bomb Tech running, follow him....
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Don't know about a site in particular, but are you using sketchup? You can play with some ideas fairly easily if you are familiar with the program.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
      Don't know about a site in particular, but are you using sketchup? You can play with some ideas fairly easily if you are familiar with the program.
      +1. It's a simple box design that can be done with just rabbets. If you mount the french cleats behind the back (if there will be one), you'll lose 3/4" of the cabinet depth. French cleats are advantageous if you are installing by yourself.

Comment

• BeauxTi
        Established Member
        • Jan 2012
        • Georgetown Texas
        • Ryobi BT300

I have not used any mock up software - I will take a look and see what i can do with it. Yeah it is all by myself - I was wondering what I was going to do. I saw some fancy Cleats in Lowes - high dollar. I got to thinking I could answer a lot of storage space using the wood left over and the Cleats. Thanks for the suggestions!
        Beaux Ti -

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

I wouldn't use any store bought hangers. A 1x4 ripped with a bevel makes for a strong cleat.

If space is at a premium, and you don't mind pegboard, you might consider pegboard doors on your cabinets. I did some in the stud space in my tiny shop.
          http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=50094
          http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=39255

Pappy did some in his playpen too:http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=39236
          Erik

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Originally posted by pelligrini
            If space is at a premium, and you don't mind pegboard, you might consider pegboard doors on your cabinets. I did some in the stud space in my tiny shop.
            Hmm, I wish I'da thought of that before building my router accessory cabinet last week!

I'll post some pics over the weekend. It's sortakinda similar to what Beaux is looking for, but a bit narrower and using 1/2" stock.

JR
            JR

Comment

• BeauxTi
              Established Member
              • Jan 2012
              • Georgetown Texas
              • Ryobi BT300

Very very very very good idea! I was thinking of all 3/4, but why waste the door space. Your pictures show far more skill than I have acquired as of yet. Regardless , I can muddle my way through it. Space is always a consideration. Even though the Garage belongs to me (go figure ;-) ), there is still some clutter from the better half. Now you got me to thinking about the sides of the Cabinet as well....... saga continues...
              Beaux Ti -

Comment

• BeauxTi
                Established Member
                • Jan 2012
                • Georgetown Texas
                • Ryobi BT300

Halted by rain - we need it badly, just wish it would come during the week..... Down side - Wife sees me watching the tube and feels it is in my best interest to get after the Honey Do list.. ;-)
                Beaux Ti -

Comment

• JR
                  The Full Monte
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Eugene, OR
                  • BT3000

Beaux Ti, I hope these pics will help move your project along. This is a cabinet built a couiple of weeks ago to hold my router stuff. It's made of 1/2" oak, but the joinery might be useful for your 3/4" plywood project.

The cabinet is mounted on a post. The location is a step away from my BT-mounted router table. It's intended to hold all my bits, accessories, bases, tools, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	router cab front.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	785974

Since it's designed for my collection of router stuff I elected to make the shelves fixed in dadoes at specific intervals. Alternatively one could use one fixed shelf to aid in stiffness of the assembly, with the others set on shelf pins for flexibility in locating them as the needs change. The assembly is fixed to the post with cleats inside the case, screwed through the back panel into the post. I didn't use french cleats because I wanted to use as little depth as possible. I don't mind losing a little usable space inside the cabinet in this application. The back is 1/4" hardboard (not the best choice, but I had it in stock), let into a 1/4" rabbet in the back.

Name:	Router cab open.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	382.0 KB
ID:	785975

I used simple dadoes in the sides to fit the shelves. I've rabetted both the sides and the top and bottom pieces where they are joined. For your playwood construction I'd suggest a simple rabbet in the sides - plywood tends to fall apart a bit when making narrow rabbets. I used "a few brads to hold it together until the glue dries" on the corners and the back.

Name:	router cab joinery.jpg
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	785976

Here's the plan I made. It didn't require a whole lot of thinking and it evolved as the wood got cut. For instance, the exact depth was determined by the width of the wood I was able to find. Also, if you can see it this fuzzy picture, you'll see that the drawer changed locations as I mulled it over. The only really important thing to remember is that you want the dadoes and rabbets on the facing pieces to be cut at the same time, in the same way, to assure symmetry.

Name:	router cab plan.jpg
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	785977

It's woth noting (confessing, really) that this was my first attempt at raised panel doors. I learned a valuable lesson - don't put biscuits near the ends of a glued up panel or you run the risk of exposing them when the pane is raised. The flaws are there as reminder in future projects!

I guess I should also note that I broke out the spray gun for the first time to apply teh shellac. Oh, man, was that an entertaining exercise!

HTH,
                  JR
                  Last edited by JR; 02-18-2012, 03:20 PM.
                  JR

Comment

• BeauxTi
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2012
                    • Georgetown Texas
                    • Ryobi BT300

Nice work!!! You are way over my head. really like the bit trays - do the slide? Also - I have to ask about the spray ;-) .. I have an Air brush that I just can not seem to get the hang of , although it has improved my cleaning skills.
                    Beaux Ti -

Comment

• JR
                      The Full Monte
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Eugene, OR
                      • BT3000

This is not complicated stuff. It's the very basics of woodworking. You CAN do it, and you'll find that it's pretty easy. Dive in, the water's fine.

The bit trays are just boards with holes in them. They just lift out of the cabinet. Same with the drawer; it just slides out.

I will absolutely not be offering advice on spraying. Although I am willing to listen to any tips on cleaning.

JR
                      JR

Comment

Working...