• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SilentSam
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2010
    • Richmond, VA, USA

plywood optimization

Wondering two things. I have a project with plans that I can get four sets pieces from a single sheet sheet of 1/2" ply. I am making 40 of these boxes, possibly more. I can only wonder if any of the software optimizer can calculate out a more efficient cut list when looking at the total desired outcome. So my question is this. Have you used any of the "free" software out there that might support a project like this?

At $22 dollars a sheet it would be nice to stretch the dollar a bit.

Also should anyone have purchased the software and would like to plug in my cut list, I will gladly send you the plans. Thanks,

SS
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

I've got cutlist, just give me the dimensions and the quantity and I can run it through real quick.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• SilentSam
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2010
      • Richmond, VA, USA

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
      I've got cutlist, just give me the dimensions and the quantity and I can run it through real quick.
      http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/downlo...s5FrameNuc.pdf

Thanks!!!!!!!

SS

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

Even estimating the entire project, at a 1/8" kerf and true 48"x96" panels, you're still using 10 sheets. You're only using a very small portion of that 10th sheet, but the cost is still there.

If the plywood is 48.5*96 or 48*96.5, you can do it in nine. If not, do it whichever way you want to.

This is assuming crosscuts first, as is the standard.
        I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

FWIW, doing the original way e.g. 4 from a single sheet of plywood might give you more uniform grain pattern, e.g. all like pieces will have a common grain direction?
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...