• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Best glue for ND Magnets?

I Hot-melt glued three Neodymium Magnets (ND) to recesses in each of the faces I made for my vises.

Maybe I didn't let the glue cool enough - I was able to remove the faces right after I put them on w/o losing the magnets.

Today I took the faces off and all 6 of the magnets were stuck to the face of the vise, not my wood faces.

They are .5" dia. magnets but they're actually a bit under .5"; I had to drill 0.5" recesses for them. I put glue in the recess, and pushed the magnet so it was just shy of the surface, maybe .030" (about a 1/32nd).

Any suggestions on how to make the magnets stick better to the wood?
    surface finish, glue type, different glues, retaining devices?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

You might try a smaller diameter hole that requires the magnets to be pressed in, or hammered in. Or, for glues, try a two part epoxy. Doing that you might need a slightly larger hole to reservoir the glue to hold the magnets. Epoxy works best when there is a little room for it.

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

The videos I've seen suggest epoxy.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

+2 on the epoxy.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

I have used epoxy also with success. I don't remember where but I did have one come loose once in about a dozen epoxied magnets.

However, on a cabinet that has frequent door openings and closings, I used a different kind of magnet setup. In the frame of the cabinet where the doors shut, I used recessed magnet cups and place a magnet in it. For the doors, I used the recessed plate with a screw in the center to hold it to the door.
          http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,42363,42348

Here is another idea in the link below with ring magnets. It would be great if they had a bevel on the inside edge to seat a screw to hold it in but I haven't found that. Anyway, these will allow for more epoxy holding area if you need that.
          http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,42363,42348
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• All Thumbs
            Established Member
            • Oct 2009
            • Penn Hills, PA
            • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Polyurethane glue works great.

Comment

• herb fellows
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • New York City
              • bt3100

While epoxy will do it, if you're looking for a one tube solution, try something called e-6000. You can pick it up at Michaels or pretty much any craft store for about $ 4 a tube. (3.7 ozs.)
              I use it to adhere glass to wood and to metal and it works a treat.
              It's kind of like rubber glue on steroids. Put it on both parts, wait about 3 minutes, put together and clamp lightly so you don't starve the joint, so to speak. It will adhere very well in about an hour, they say 72 hours for a full cure, although I've used things in much shorter time with no problems.
              You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by herb fellows
                While epoxy will do it, if you're looking for a one tube solution, try something called e-6000. You can pick it up at Michaels or pretty much any craft store for about $ 4 a tube. (3.7 ozs.)
                It's kind of like rubber glue on steroids. Put it on both parts, wait about 3 minutes, put together and clamp lightly so you don't starve the joint, so to speak. It will adhere very well in about an hour, they say 72 hours for a full cure, although I've used things in much shorter time with no problems.
                Sounds like the glue that I have been looking for - on many occasions. I will have to get me a tube of this. Thanks.

Edit: after reading some of the reviews on Amazon, looks like what I need to keep in my glue and paint cabinet.
                Last edited by leehljp; 01-15-2012, 07:25 PM.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by herb fellows
                  Thanks Herb, I will try that, I really don't like messing with epoxies b/c of the two parts and that it usually goes bad before use the remainder.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sweensdv
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • WI
                    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Another single tube alternative that is sold at HD is GOOP.

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      Thanks Herb, I will try that, I really don't like messing with epoxies b/c of the two parts and that it usually goes bad before use the remainder.
                      You asked which glue we thought was the best, opinions came up with a two part epoxy. Since you don't like epoxy, try CA.

Comment

• sailor55330
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2010

The E-6000 is pretty strong and does bond to pretty much everything. Biggest drawback I've had is that it's got a pretty strong odor. My wife used it on a craft project and it took the house about 3 hours to air out.

Comment

• steve-norrell
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • The Great Land - Alaska
                          • BT3100-1

I have had good luck with CA, especially when the magnet has to be pressed into the recess, as with a tight fit.

Steve

Comment

• parnelli
                            • Aug 2004
                            • bt3100

Originally posted by leehljp
                            Sounds like the glue that I have been looking for - on many occasions. I will have to get me a tube of this. Thanks.

Edit: after reading some of the reviews on Amazon, looks like what I need to keep in my glue and paint cabinet.
                            Sorry to dig up an old thread, but when this thread came up I googled the e6000 name and the first thing that came up was Michael's craft store.

I've been meaning to get over there all last month to get some but never made it. Tonight I notice the wife has this:

5 dollars off a 5 dollar or more purchase. So I'm guessing the glue will be pretty much free.. Fri Sat only

http://www.michaels.com/c/020312-EMA...20$5/Get%20$5#

Comment

• sscherin
                              • Dec 2003
                              • Kennewick, WA, USA.

Get some of these and use a screw to hold them in place.
                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-Neodymium...3#ht_500wt_969

William's Law--
                              There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
                              cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

Working...