• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JAWS4038
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2003
    • St. Louis.

Battery charging station ideas

In this world of cordless this and cordless that, I have a need to create a charging station in my workshop. I am looking for ideas, pics, plans, anything to get them all together in one location. Not so much about the tool themselves, but something to layout all the charges in a row......any thoughts?

Would love to see how others handle this problem.
    Where ever you go...........there you are!
    J. Seinfeld.
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

How many brands, how many chargers and how many batteries?
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• JAWS4038
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2003
      • St. Louis.

Batteries and chargers

Off the top of my head:

Chargers: probably close to 4 to 6 major ones, 3 or 4 that i use once in a while, and 4 others that get used periodically. Dewalt several but use the dual one mostly so thats a double charger, makita, ryobi, milwaukee, porter cable, and a couple others.
      Batteries: don't even get me started.
      J. Seinfeld.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

This has been going through my mind also. It seems like this came up 2 or 3 years ago and there may be some thread on this subject, but the search function is not working at the moment due to a database error.

I need two voltages - 100 and 110. I have a sweet little drill driver from Japan that does not charge with 110. I have a variac that I can set on 100V and the charger works then. I had a set of US Ryobi drill drivers and impact drivers 18V with me in Japan and also a set for my home in the US. Now I have both sets plus two of those lights. I use them all the time. SO, it is time for a charging station if for nothing else to get those chargers in one place and organized.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• JAWS4038
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2003
          • St. Louis.

Lee

So Lee you feel my pain, lol. Someone out here has some cool ideas and some pics. Come on guys!
          J. Seinfeld.

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

I can't even wrap my mind around that many different brands. Brain would have a seizure from the colors.

Some great ideas on Google Image, where I get most of my inspiration.

Comment

• JAWS4038
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2003
              • St. Louis.

images

but they are all pretty colors, like my green hitachi's. Got any links to share for those images?
              J. Seinfeld.

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

This is one of only 2 that came up under 'shop made charging station'. The other one was a workbench. most of the images were charging stations for IPOD/cell phone type electronics or for electric cars.

http://kregjig.ning.com/photo/100-03...ource=activity
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

A few decent ideas here. Drills, but you can extrapolate.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...DY_UgAfVh6SOBg

Can look here, too. Just click on the projects tab. Some interesting ideas that didn't come up in Google.

http://lumberjocks.com/search_result...&sa.x=0&sa.y=0

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

usually a project should have some goals, objectives.
                    For a battery charging station, my considerations would be the follwoing (you have to fill in the blanks)

small Footprint - fits in some defined space (size______)
                    handles ____ chargers (make more than you need, we'll be adding more devices for certain as time goes on, not less) - consider cell phones, tools, blue-tooth, Ipod, AA and AAA chargers, cameras, lights, as well as power tool packs
                    Timers (0-24 hrs) on one or more outlets so that batteries won't be overcharged if left on (for non smart chargers)
                    Cord organization - need pegs or racetracks to wrap up excess cords to improve appearance.
                    Plug outlet organization, internal to the charger so the Wall warts won't be seen (altho think about the indicators for charge state you might want to see)
                    ventilation some chargers run hot
                    place on the charger to set the items being charged, with cord end in convenient reach.
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-09-2011, 09:50 AM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Stytooner
                      Roll Tide RIP Lee
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                      • BT3100

I would consider using metal on one of these. At least something like those insulated cookie sheets. That should bear any heat well.

I have ran through my Dewalts and a bunch of Firestorms now. I only buy Hitachi lately. Only 14.4 volts in those, but I did buy the lighter one once, so that is another charger.
                      In all I have 5 for the cordless tools. One in the house, and two in the old shop. One in the new shop and a spare. Started buying these from Reconditioned tools about 3 years ago. Not had any battery trouble yet. One was DOA and was quickly replaced.
                      They are called Big Sky Tools now.
                      If looking for some reliable cheap cordless tools to go with the ones you have, these guys are a great choice. Wait for sales. Build the charging station larger.
                      Lee

Comment

Working...