• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cubsfan
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • CO.

Workbench Thoughts

Ok, so I don't really have a decent shop workbench, but I'd really like to have a nice one. Marc over at The Wood Whisperer is doing an awesome build, but I'm not really ready to spend $1500 on a workbench, so I'm looking for alternatives.

I found this one that I really like:
    http://www.woodsmithshop.com/episodes/season2/206/
    (They have a pdf of the plans)

My problem is that it's around 7' x 29". I really can't fit a 7' workbench in. The best I can do is either 5' or 6'. Do you think that, at the reduced size, it would still have enough weight to stand up to using planes, etc.. on it?

Thanks!
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

probably. but if more weight is needed, there should be a way to add cement blocks for ballast under the lower shelf, much as the lathe stand featured in this month's shopnotes adds ballast for stability.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

I saw one somewhere a few years back, where they were worried about it moving. They made the lower shelf in such a way (3/4" plywood, sealed, with a layer over the top of it), that sandwiched between two pieces of plywood, was sand. If they wanted to move, they removed the top layer and vacuumed out the sand.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

Here is another option for you to consider, the price is pretty good.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wp...Workbench2.pdf
        I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Of those two workbench designs, the one posted by CocheseUGA is the far better of the two. It could be improved even further by moving the legs (fronts for sure, rears also would be better yet) out so they are flush with the front edge of the top, and by making the bottom shelf solid so that small items won't fall through.

Another excellent choice would Chris Schwarz's Holtzapffel bench. This version has no bottom shelf but one could be added.
          Larry

Comment

• Carpenter96
            Established Member
            • Aug 2011
            • Barrie ON Canada
            • BT 3000

From an expense type of view my work bench is made from 4 x 4, 2 x 4, 3/4" particle board and 1/4 tempered hardboard. I built a bank of 18 drawers under neath, have 3/4" round dog holes 6" oc, and a record woodworking vise. Mine is only 4' long but because of the way it is put together it is rock solid and has plenty of mass for aborbing any vibration. I use it for every thing including hand planing lots of different projects. I would like to have a bigger bench but the space I have is limited so the 4' is what My comprimise was. Don't skimp on the vise! Regards Bob

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by LarryG
              Another excellent choice would Chris Schwarz's Holtzapffel bench. This version has no bottom shelf but one could be added.
              Think that's what I'll be doing.

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

Just for more flavor I'll toss in my current favorite of dream bench builds: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/video/bench

Satisfies the Schwarz requirements although the split top is mentioned as being a bear to level to each other. From a recent correspondence with Chris:

"The issue with split-top benches is from people I know who have them. I have not built one. If the two sections are not parallel and level then it can be tricky. Friends have rammed their planes into a bit of the top that was sticking up.

Not a huge deal, but a reported issue.

How flat does a bench need to be? If you do a lot of handwork then the active working surface needs to be within .006" to keep the work from springing on the benchtop. If you don't do a lo of hard core handwork, it just has to look flat.

I always go for as flat as I can in the area this is the front 12" or so of the benchtop"
                Last edited by chopnhack; 10-26-2011, 10:54 PM.
                I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cwsmith
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

It's probably not something you are looking for, but please excuse me if I'm tossing it in "below" your considerations.

I've always wanted a "woodworkers" bench and maybe someday I'll have the time to build one, as you're considering. But a few months ago my son bought me the "Harbor Freight" bench which is currently on sale at my local store for $129.

This bench is "hardwood" with a 1" thick top, measuring 20 x 60, has a bottom shelf, four drawers, and an end-vise.

Actually it is surprisingly sturdy, no wobble, and the weight is significant enough to allow me to do what I want to do. Overall IT, works well for me and I do "plane", sand, and do things like cut mortice's on it.

There are of course some things that I'd have improved on, one of which is thicken up the top, change the bench holes to 3/4" instead of the 5/8" that they currently are, and change the bottom shelf liner to something heavier. All of which can be done before you do the assembly, without too much effort, I think.

Again, my apologies for sticking this in here if it's considered worthless... but for $129, it may well be something of interest; even if it's just as a foundation to enhance. http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch...nch-93454.html

Thanks,

CWS
                  Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Cubsfan
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • CO.

I actually really looked hard at that one. Seemed like a pretty good deal for what it was.

I figure I can build one of the ones the plans that use regular construction lumber pretty cheaply, and it won't be too hard to do over a weekend either, so I'll go that route. The only bad thing is that vices aren't cheap

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

I need to look for which issue or publication it was in, but a while back in one of the ShopNotes issues, or maybe it was one of their special interest publications, but there was a bench design, they called the "Weekend Workbench" that had a nice solid base made of laminated construction grade 2x4s, and then a solid core door top. Now mind you, I would happily trade that top for one made from laminated 2x stock, but that design, again with a different top design, really speaks to me. I would want to add a few more drawers to it, but other than that, it's what I am wanting in a bench... Actually, my FWW workbench design is pretty nice, just my execution isn't what it should be. In particular me using Cedar because I couldn't find pine 4x4s that were't warped or split...

Whatever you do, make sure your bench has some good mass to it. The heavier the better. Heck, if you could, cast the base out of concrete. Probably not feasable for most folks though... And I am only partially kidding... If you build one with 2x4 stringers, enclose the space between the stringers and fill it with sand, or concrete for added mass. Then top of that enclosure would act as a shelf for storing frequently used hand power tools. Probably a great place to store your hand held routers or whatever if you keep them in cases like I do...
                      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by dbhost
                        I need to look for which issue or publication it was in, but a while back in one of the ShopNotes issues, or maybe it was one of their special interest publications, but there was a bench design, they called the "Weekend Workbench" that had a nice solid base made of laminated construction grade 2x4s, and then a solid core door top. Now mind you, I would happily trade that top for one made from laminated 2x stock, but that design, again with a different top design, really speaks to me. I would want to add a few more drawers to it, but other than that, it's what I am wanting in a bench... Actually, my FWW workbench design is pretty nice, just my execution isn't what it should be. In particular me using Cedar because I couldn't find pine 4x4s that were't warped or split...

Whatever you do, make sure your bench has some good mass to it. The heavier the better. Heck, if you could, cast the base out of concrete. Probably not feasable for most folks though... And I am only partially kidding... If you build one with 2x4 stringers, enclose the space between the stringers and fill it with sand, or concrete for added mass. Then top of that enclosure would act as a shelf for storing frequently used hand power tools. Probably a great place to store your hand held routers or whatever if you keep them in cases like I do...
                        This one? http://www.plansnow.com/wwrkbnch.html

One possibility for a top I might throw out there for those who don't want to spend time laminating their own. Ikea sells some beech tops that would be bench-size for around $60 if they are local to you.

Would it hold up over the years? Probably not. But it might be a good starting point.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10146525/

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                          This one? http://www.plansnow.com/wwrkbnch.html

One possibility for a top I might throw out there for those who don't want to spend time laminating their own. Ikea sells some beech tops that would be bench-size for around $60 if they are local to you.

Would it hold up over the years? Probably not. But it might be a good starting point.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10146525/
                          That's the one...
                          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• chopnhack
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • Florida
                            • Ryobi BT3100

You might want to rip down larger 2x stock. 2x4's aint what they used to be! And buy your lumber soon as you may have to wait several weeks for the pieces to dry out. Make sure you post photos of the progress.
                            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...