X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tohellwithuga
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • GA

Thanks, Pappy. Any thoughts on how far out to put the support posts for the top shelves? Do I just need to make sure it falls over the triangular supports (i.e. about 20" from the wall), or should I make sure it's, say, at least 1/4 of the way back from the corner of the support (which would be about 15" from the wall)? The only thing there is, then I have about 9" of overhang for the top shelf.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

I would put them over, or near, the ends of the triangular brackets.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Uncle Hook
        Established Member
        • Apr 2005
        • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

I would consider using a french cleat system. I would faster one horizontal french cleat stringer at the top and one plain horizontal stringer at the bottom to provide bottom bracket support. Then plywood shelves and brackets can be hung anywhere on the french cleat and the set up is easy to change later on if need be.

WoodCraft sells some nice heavy duty galvanized shelf brackets for use in making lumber racks. I forget the brand but that solution might be cheaper than plywood. They are pictured here as a set but the components are available individually through Woodcraft and hardware chains like True Value.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/202...lving-Kit.aspx

Comment

• tohellwithuga
          Established Member
          • Jan 2007
          • GA

So, I have the plywood - for good or bad, I ended up just getting the 3/4" cabinet grade ply from HD, which I will use for everything (used 10% off and some GCs).

I had about an hour free this evening and cut up the squares that will make the supports. Before I do any more cutting, though, I think I'm going to put some clear poly on everything.

Should I use interior or exterior poly? I have a 2.5 gal. of Flood CWF exterior, 2.5 gal. of Minwax interior, and a few gallons of Varathane interior available.

Comment

• toolguy1000
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • westchester cnty, ny

it's garage shelving! i'd use whichever of those cost the least. but, i have a tendency to focus on function before form. they should all do what you need done regarding protecting the material.
            there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• tohellwithuga
              Established Member
              • Jan 2007
              • GA

Originally posted by toolguy1000
              they should all do what you need done regarding protecting the material.
              Thanks, that's what I was looking for

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Yea, whichever was cheapest after considering if I had any of it slated for any future projects.
                Erik

Comment

Working...