• Show
Clear All
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Outdoor Fasteners

I'm going to be building a picnic table and benches in western cedar using plans from Workbench. It calls for exterior #8 screws and exterior 5/16 lag screws.

I'm not too concerned about getting the right kind of lag screws but the #8s are another matter. Most of what I see are for building decks and I seem to remember that deck screws are brittle. There's not much side loading on deck planks but I want to make sure this table can't be broken by a stupid renter (someone recently did some strange damage to the much beloved ski cabin we own nearby). From what I'm seeing in the plans, lag screws will bear the biggest loads but I don't want the other screws to be breaking.

So, should I count on deck screws or should I be looking for something else.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I don't know about the deck screws but you should be able to find #8s in stainless, for a price.
    Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

steel zinc fasteners like lag screws will rust. Even coated deck screws will eventually darken and leave streaks on the cedar and react. Use stainless deck screws for the best result.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

It might be worthwhile finding a local supplier for screws, as the home center prices will likely be very high.

Comment

• jziegler
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2005
          • Salem, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

I've purchased from McFeely's before. They have a good selection of stainless in serveral grades.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/stainless-screws

I think that I used the 305 and several years later, all is still well in cedar. They also have stainless lag bolts.

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

If the western cedar down south is anything like the commonly available stuff up here and you are using 4/4 stock I'd be far more concerned with the strength of the lumber which is much weaker than even deck screws. Even still stainless screws aren't a whole bunch more than the exterior coated ones.
            Last edited by Black wallnut; 02-11-2011, 10:55 AM. Reason: just can't spell today!
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Skip C
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2004
              • Rowley, MA.

Coincidently, my son just asked me this week to build them an outdoor table this Spring. What is the Wood issue that has the table pics and plan?

Thansk, Skip

Comment

• jackellis
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

Skip, the plans are in Workbench volume 55, #4. I don't have that issue but you can purchase the plans for $6 from plansnow.com or you can just rely on the photo.

Thanks for the advice Mark. The plans call for 2x material, and cedar can't be any less strong than redwood. I'll do a little testing with a 2x6 to make sure someone standing on the table can't break it.

If I can find stainless steel fasteners locally for a reasonable price, I may buy them locally. The nearest big box is 45 miles and over an hour away. Gotta keep the local hardware stores in business or that ten cent washer could end up costing $20 by the time I pay for fuel, and even more for the value of my time.

Comment

• jackellis
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

McFeeley's didn't have the longer fasteners I needed so I've placed an order with Manasquan Fasteners for 5" log bolts and 4" deck screws. We'll see how they work out.

Comment

Working...