X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Help figuring out angles

Planning on building a doll house for my niece for xmas and like this design but am having a problem figuring out the angles for the roof. I want to put a bevel on the top part of the walls to match the angle of the roofs as well. Any mathematicians out there want to help put me in the right direction in how to calculate them.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Just looking at the picture, the roof looks like a 12/12 pitch. That would make the angle 45 degrees.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I recently completed a doll house/book case with simular appearing dimensions. 45 degrees looks and works well, and does not require much thought or jigs to make work. Cutting the shingles and positioning them on the roof took more time than anything.
      capncarl

Comment

• jussi
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Pappy
        Just looking at the picture, the roof looks like a 12/12 pitch. That would make the angle 45 degrees.
        Ah ok. That makes it easer. Thanks

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

In the event it's not 45 deg. here is a handy dandy chart for figuring out what the angel is and what to set on the CMS.

Compound Miter Chart

Bill

Comment

• jussi
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by capncarl
            I recently completed a doll house/book case with simular appearing dimensions. 45 degrees looks and works well, and does not require much thought or jigs to make work. Cutting the shingles and positioning them on the roof took more time than anything.
            capncarl
            What type of wood did you use for the shingles? I was thinking cedar. Did you stain or paint most of it?

Did you use 3/4" ply or would 1/2" do? Or did you use solid wood?

Comment

• Charlie R
              Forum Newbie
              • Jun 2007

After finally finishing a kit doll house, modified to have a removable roof, I had bunches of precut shingles and no inclination to install them. The stores have doll house asphalt shingles I didn't care for. Found a spray can of multicolor textured paint that complemented the wall colors and made the wife happy. The roof comes off in sections without fear of damaging shingles.

Comment

Working...