• Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Your opinion $ Help needed

I'm in the process of constructing another jewelry box. This is going to be a wedding present to my niece and her husband to be. He's Australian and they both currently live there.

What I propose to do is to use woods common to both countries in the construction, the lid is going to be a highly figured Walnut and the sides will be Australian Blackwood, I'll also be using Spalted Maple and Blackheart/ Sassafras.

The box will have what amounts to two lids, a his and hers (see illustration). The opinion I'm looking for is "Does this box look to much like a coffin?"

The help I need is how to get the curved profile on the lid. I think one way would be to rip slight bevels on both sides of what will be the lid top and then create the actual curve on a bench 4" wide belt sander. (see Illustration)
    As the box will be about 10" or so long, I can cut the profile on my bandsaw, it takes up to 13 1/2 inch stock vertically. I'm shying away from this as I feel I can control the curve better using the belt sander.

Click image for larger version

Name:	H&G-Box.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	797105

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lid-Profile.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	797106

What would you guys do?

As usual, your helpful advise is appreciated.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

It does look a little like a casket. Maybe with the woods used you can dress it out. Using the bevel cuts that you show, you could use the high spot as the outside of the curve and use a hand plane to do the curve. The sander will also work, but could get too aggressive. At least with the hand plane you will see the curved shape happening.

Then finish with a block sander.

Comment

• mpc
      • Feb 2005
      • Cypress, CA, USA.
      • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Having long horizontal details on the box will make it look more coffin-like... think of hand rails on coffins. Also, coffins are very much rectangular... so the more square you make it the better.

As for the curve:
      With my so-called skills I know I'd never be able to belt-sand the top and have a consistent shape the whole way. Using a hand plane was my first thought. Then I thought about how I'd do it in plastic or something - i.e. molding it. What about making a cove cut using a table saw on a long board... then sticking sandpaper to that? Clamp the workpiece to the bench and just move the cove+sandpaper back and forth until the shape is achieved.

I'd try with the bandsaw first... just to get "close to the line" and then use the cove+sandpaper to finish to the line.

mpc

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
        • Dec 2005
        • Russell, NY, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

I ditto MPC, making it more square would probably put away all the thoughts of a coffin. As for the top; the rounded surface lends a touch to it that will make it stand out in the box world. I'd start with the b/s and then work it down with a curved profile sanding block; using the cove moulding is a good idea too! Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
        RuffSawn
        Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• BerniePA
          Established Member
          • Nov 2007
          • San Tan Valley, AZ
          • Grizzly 0575

You're right Bruce. It does somewhat remind one of a casket.

I think what I would do would be to make a more squared top (read straight line, 90 degree angles) rather than the curved. Maybe even a top that stands a little proud of the sides. This would make it look less "coffin-ey" and eliminate how you would make the curved top at the same time, you could always put a decorative edge on the straight line top.
          Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• BerniePA
            Established Member
            • Nov 2007
            • San Tan Valley, AZ
            • Grizzly 0575

If you decide to go with the original design as pictured, you might try two little handles mounted top dead center of both tops to break up the "coffin" look. They could be simple shop made wooden ones or store bought, but in either case, I would keep them small, just enough to grab.
            Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• Alex Franke
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2007
              • Chapel Hill, NC
              • Ryobi BT3100

I've never seen a coffin that small, but I tend to agree with the other comments. I would certainly avoid attaching rails or multiple handles to the longer sides.

BerniePA's "top dead center" comment made me chuckle.

For the curved top, you might also be able to make a curved jig to ride your plunge router on. Remove as much waste as you can with the table saw or band saw, then route over the curve profile, slide the jig down a bit, route again, etc. Then sand to clean it up.

On second thought, that router jig idea seems like it would allow too much error (because the router would rock on the jig "rails") unless the router was fixed and the top part of the jig pivoted...
              Last edited by Alex Franke; 09-26-2010, 09:16 PM. Reason: added "on second thought"
              online at http://www.theFrankes.com
              while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
              "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• JR
                The Full Monte
                • Feb 2004
                • Eugene, OR
                • BT3000

Yes, you should put bevels on the lid pieces. You should then plan to plane the joints, then sand.

If you're a member at Fine Woodworking, try searching for "coopered lid".

JR
                JR

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

If you design some legs into the chest it wil not look like a coffin.

capncarl

Comment

• Shep
                    • Nov 2008
                    • Columbus, OH
                    • Hitachi C10FL

I don't think it will look like a coffin when it's done, but how your picture is viewed elongates the image and makes it look more coffin-like. Since the box will be more likely viewed from the front or above, I don't think a coffin will come to mind.
                    -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• eezlock
                      • Feb 2006
                      • Charlotte,N.C.
                      • BT3100

your opinion needed

Bruce, from where I see it....it does sort of, kinda looks like a coffin or casket!
                      If you are set on making an arched top, I think I would make 4 pieces like the
                      end caps in your drawing. I would make the arched top out of a thin piece
                      of the material you plan on using, and try steam bending it to that radius.
                      Kinda like building roof trusses and forming flat metal to that shape over it.

After it has dried a couple of days to that shape it will be a lot easier to finish sand. This is my idea...may be some other ideas that will work better ...I don't know........

Comment

• MilDoc

I agree - if you don't like the "coffin" shape, make it more square.

As for the curved top, I made a similar one. Use the bandsaw to cut close (w/i 1/8") to the profile, then I used a rotary sander on low speed with 150 grit paper to bring out the curve. A little hand sanding and it looked great!

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2003
                          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                          • BT3100

Thanks for the help

Thanks for all your comments about my "coffin". Yup, you guys just verified my thoughts about the way the box was going to look. Considering it's a wedding gift, I don't think that shape would be too appropriate.

I've shortened the width to get a "more square" look and I think it will work.

As to the curved top, that turned out to be way easier than I imagined. I just planed some stock off the top ends and then finished up using the bench sander. Took about ten minutes in total.

I'll start posting results soon.

Again many thanks for the great help, this forum is the best (most of the time )

Bruce
                          "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...