X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Not a bad idea for the other casters. I'll probably go with the smaller diameter ones I just took off.

This will be my outfeed table to some extent, and the best surface I'll have. So I need to make it well.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Fitted the casters and I still had a bow. Added a piece of ply underneath and it seems to have done the trick. Now I'm working on getting the sanding table done. That's a lot of holes.

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

Update:

Sanding box is done, well the infernal holes are done. Need to seal up the ends and add a port and it's done. The casters have eliminated the droop, but I'm going to buy two more of the big nice wheels to eliminate any variables.

I wheeled it outside and used the table for the first time in prepping some maple and purpleheart for cutting boards. I used three sheets of 3/4" ply to raise the planer up to the level of the boxes. Unfortunately, it was only partially successful. The infeed side was fine, but the outfeed side was too low and pushed the box out of the way. However, I believe I ended up with perfect boards with no snipe. So, a success anyway. I need to build the proper height platform for it before I use it again.

Pushing it back into the shed, I noticed that the top was flexing a bit because I haven't attached the back yet. I'm wondering if the design will hold up to that rigor, or should I use something stiffer like 1/2" ply or MDF instead of hardboard.

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
          Pushing it back into the shed, I noticed that the top was flexing a bit because I haven't attached the back yet. I'm wondering if the design will hold up to that rigor, or should I use something stiffer like 1/2" ply or MDF instead of hardboard.
          Speaking strictly from never having built anything mobile that size, I would think that the hardboard would do a good job of firming up the carcass. When #1 Son built some bookcases as part of his Eagle project, they were pretty wobbly until we put the 1/4" backs on them. Then they were nice and sturdy. Of course, they weren't on casters.

g.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Guess I'm overly worried about bringing it down the ramp and offroad. Probably will buy the hardboard first and see how it is.

Comment

Working...