X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unknown poster
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006

I need a cheap wood for outdoor use

I need to build a stand to hold my new portable grill when I want to use it on my deck. The base of the stand will be metal, mostly salvaged from my old grill. The top will be slats of wood, 3/4 thick x 3" wide x 18" long. I think I need about 8 slats.

I think wood will be an ok material under this grill, the legs are made of plastic so it doesn't get very hot under the grill. It's a gas grill so sparks will be minimal.

For $50 I can get the stand designed for use with my grill, I'm looking to do this for way cheaper than that (under $10).

What would be a good, inexpensive, wood to use that will not rot out after a few years outside? I was considering red oak because I happen to have some handy, but I think it will turn black outside.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

if you need a rot-resistant wood, then you need
    treated pine, cedar, cypress or redwood, in order of cheapest to most expensive.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

I would cut up some ceder fence boards. Very inexpensive, and should last at least a season.

Bill

Comment

• unknown poster
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
        I would cut up some ceder fence boards. Very inexpensive, and should last at least a season.

Bill
        That is a great idea, thanks. I can probably do the whole project out of one board, maybe two.

How long will cedar smell like a rabbit cage if left outside? Does this go away after some time?

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by unknown poster
          That is a great idea, thanks. I can probably do the whole project out of one board, maybe two.

How long will cedar smell like a rabbit cage if left outside? Does this go away after some time?
          I make a number of outdoor projects with cedar fence boards. Fairly cheap but the dimensions are pretty loose. Glues well with waterproof wood glues. The cedar smell doesn't last long outdoors. You only get a noticable smell when it's in a enclosed box or closet. Rabbit cage smell? is that because you have cedar shavings in the bottom of the cage? it doesn't smell like rabbit droppings, I can't imagine.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

The cedar fence pickets are usually ⅝". You could use dimensional PT lumber which is ¾". Or, maybe a deck board which could be 5/4.

Comment

• unknown poster
              Established Member
              • Jan 2006

Loring - Cedar shavings ate commonly used to line the bottom of rodent cages, that's why I called it a rabbit cage smell.

Cabinetman - Even though I originally said 3/4, I think I can make do with 5/8. I'll check it out first.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

If you need bigger stock my local lowes carries some 2x4 cedar stock. It is rough sawn like the fence boards so they are 2"x4". Pretty cheap too. I've used fence boards too, but you'll probably not get 5/8" out of them once surfaced.
                Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by pelligrini
                  If you need bigger stock my local lowes carries some 2x4 cedar stock. It is rough sawn like the fence boards so they are 2"x4". Pretty cheap too. I've used fence boards too, but you'll probably not get 5/8" out of them once surfaced.
                  I just leave them rough for my projects.
                  when I laminate two together to get 1" material, then I plane the two surfaces I glue together.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2007
                    • Tacoma, WA
                    • BT3000

I suppose you could surface both sides and cut them in strips and then glue it up like a cutting board.......

Bill

Comment

Working...