• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Lazy susan design considerations

LOML has been wanting a lazy susan for the dining table for a while now and I happened to see one of these on the reduced table in Rockler this week so I picked it up.

It has a weight rating of 220# so there is no problem there but I wondered wether there are any "rules" related to how much larger the top/bottom can be than the mechanisum?

Anybody have any expereince here?
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

What diameter/width did you have in mind?

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

I would have to measure to tell you the diameters I used, but the top is about 2-3" smaller than the inside measurements from place mat to place mat. I want to say the base is about 2" inside that.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I would consider several things.

how heavy ARE THE items you are going to place on this and where will they be located?
        If you will have a heavy central item or the turntable itself is very heavy it will help but obviously placing heavy items on the outside edge of a lazy susan with a small center bearing will cause it to tip.

If real heavy usage, I would have opted for metal bearings instead of plastic.

Some bearings can be bolted to both top and bottom, this will also counter tipping, but then its hard to clean up and you may not want holes in your table top.

I would guess for a lazy susan for a dining table on which you will put some heavy pots and casseroles, maybe not more than 4" or maybe 5" overhang.

you link says its a tad over 12" diameter. I'd say don't go over a turntable dia. of about 20-22"
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-01-2010, 03:27 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Shep
          • Nov 2008
          • Columbus, OH
          • Hitachi C10FL

I built a 12" one last winter with bearings like this.

The base was about 6". This was for light duty work, but was very solid
          -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Thanks guys. My thinking was that the top should be approx 2x the diameter of the base. As Loring says it does depend on how heavy the items are. As this bearing will support up to 220# I dont think there will be any danger of overloading it but more that the base vs top dimensions will create differing leverage forces.

I will have to experiment and see how the "tip factor" plays into the equation.
            Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

The weight isn't an issue, as it's hard to envision 220 LBS sitting on a dining table. The plastic bearings are thinner than the metal ones, and a heavy tall load could cause a top heavy condition with too much overhang. For that size I wouldn't go more than 20", preferably less.

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                The weight isn't an issue, as it's hard to envision 220 LBS sitting on a dining table. The plastic bearings are thinner than the metal ones, and a heavy tall load could cause a top heavy condition with too much overhang. For that size I wouldn't go more than 20", preferably less.
                It does appear that this bearing has a plastic body but metal roller bearings.
                Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Once upon a time, I built one to match my SIL's round country table. It used a heavy 12" bearing, and the top measured 36". Instead of bolting it to the table (female aversion to screw holes) I made a bottom that was 24" in diameter, using matching wood and finish, and surfaced it with a glued-on felt, so no surface scratches would happen. That thing was so sturdy, their 8-yo son used to ride it like the Mad Tea Party ride...

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                    Once upon a time, I built one to match my SIL's round country table. It used a heavy 12" bearing, and the top measured 36". Instead of bolting it to the table (female aversion to screw holes) I made a bottom that was 24" in diameter, using matching wood and finish, and surfaced it with a glued-on felt, so no surface scratches would happen. That thing was so sturdy, their 8-yo son used to ride it like the Mad Tea Party ride...
                    LOL. Well that certainly gives me a high end parameter to work with. Thanks UC.
                    Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

Working...