• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

the bit is scraping off fine dust rather than the fluffy shavings that normally come off a side grain forstner cut. I guess this is to be expected for the end grain cut?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• crybdr
      Established Member
      • Dec 2009
      • Lake Mills, WI
      • Ryobi BT3100

I'm in agreement with some others here - your bit may be a little dull. Not dull enough to show for cross grain cuts, but maybe too dull for end grain cuts?

I remember trying to cut a hole through my stainless steel sink (not wood obviously, but the sharpness factor still applies) for a soap dispenser. Was using a 'newish' bi-metal hole saw (lower quality HF that I've used before on metal). Spent about 15 minutes burnishing a nicely polished groove in the sink - oil assisted cutting and all.......but no resulting metal chips.

Ran out to the hardware store to buy a new hole bi-metal saw body. The new saw created big chips immediately and went through in about 20 seconds. Was a lesson in having a sharp tool suitable for the work at hand.

Not sure if it applies here..... Good luck!

Comment

Working...