• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Need opinion on drawer pull decision

The pulls on this dresser look like they're turned ebony and really complement
    the piece very nicely. I'm building this dresser now but don't have a lathe and
    wouldn't know how to use it if I did. If I did know, I'd probably ebonize some
    maple.

I'm making a compromise by buying these pulls from Rockler.

They are the closest things I could find that still match the style of the
    dresser. The Maloof pulls, to me, are most like Shaker peg meets Art Deco.
    I can't find anything like them anywhere else. I've gone through page after
    page of online catalogs looking. If you know of a more appropriate pull, let
    me know.

Do the Rockler pulls really detract from the rest of the piece?

The Rockler pulls have a dark pewter finish but I'd really prefer black which is
    not available. How do you think spray paint would hold up?

Thanks,
    Paul
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

I don't know what wood you are using for the rest of the piece, the picture looks like it could be hickory but I am not sure. The picture also almost looks like shaker pegs for drawer pulls. That might look odd but you can get them in walnut which might be dark enough or you could stain them.

I have an oak dresser/entertainment center. I used black nickel knobs on it.

I would not get too hung up on doing exactly what is in the picture. If you find knobs you like being a little different just helps prove it was you that made it. Most people will probably never see the picture unless you show it to them, and even then slightly different knobs will not cause anybody to fail to see the resemblance (assuming the rest of the piece is similar).

Jim

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

I think the Rockler pulls look nice.

You could always go w/ the Rockler for now. Then get a lathe and learn how to turn them yourself down the road some day.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I should have mentioned in my first reply but I like "wwhardware.com" for this kind of stuff. I think they have a bigger selection and their prices are often a little less.

Jim

Comment

• drillman88
          • Dec 2007
          • Southeast
          • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

If you are not looking strictly for wood pulls, I have seen some aged bronze that are really similar in appearance. Some are really intricate with great detail.
          I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by drillman88
            If you are not looking strictly for wood pulls, I have seen some aged bronze that are really similar in appearance. Some are really intricate with great detail.
            Please, tell me more

Comment

• herb fellows
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • New York City
              • bt3100

Definitely don't paint it, it would ruin that beautiful piece, imho.

What about contacting a turners club, show them what you are doing and see if anyone there will make some knobs for you? I think they would be proud to be a part of that piece!
              You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• mpc
                • Feb 2005
                • Cypress, CA, USA.
                • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I don't have a lathe... but for short parts like that I have used dowel material in a drill press plus a plain file and/or sandpaper to simulate a lathe. It only works for stubby parts that don't need both ends to be supported (like the head stock and tail stock do on a lathe). A router table with a roundover bit can be used to convert long skinny square corss-section sticks into "dowel" stock too: cut the stick about a foot long. Then route the center 8 inches, leaving 2 inch square handles on each end to sit against your router table. Rotate the piece 90 degrees and route again... until the center 8 inches is a round dowel. Common technique.

mpc

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

paul, I think they'll work great, style-wise and appearance wise.
                  You can always change them later if you don't like it.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Here's an idea. Take a wood shaker peg and cut off the tenon. Then cut off the button head where it tapers. It looks like it will be a close match.

Comment

• cgallery
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2004
                      • Milwaukee, WI
                      • BT3K

Originally posted by cabinetman
                      Here's an idea. Take a wood shaker peg and cut off the tenon. Then cut off the button head where it tapers. It looks like it will be a close match.

LOL. I looked at a shaker peg yesterday and didn't see it.

You're right. Stain 'em and they'd look great. I'll bet he could even find some of a very dark wood and stain them further, if need be.

Nice find, Cabinetman.

Comment

• drillman88
                        • Dec 2007
                        • Southeast
                        • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

These were as close as I could find to the ones I saw at the local store Theirs had a little more embellishment and the shape was a little different.

Shop quality discounted kitchen cabinet hardware by brand, product (knobs, pulls, handles), finish, or style. Save up to 50% off retail on Brands like Amerock, Berenson, Top Knobs, Hickory Hardware, Jeffrey Alexander and more! Free shipping on orders over $45.
                        I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• JR
                          The Full Monte
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Eugene, OR
                          • BT3000

I think it's important to note that this is your piece. You can have it any way that pleases you. Being inspired by Maloof is one thing, but slavishly following his designs is another. He is often quoted as saying that he made his designs and techniques available so that tney may inspire crafstmen.

Having said all that, IMHO, Maloof's design esthetic might be called Scandinavian meets Calfironia Modern with an overlay of Maloof-the-illustrator. In that vein, you could craft pulls like on this piece:

Or use hardware, something like this (black or bronze would look better, IMHO):

I also think that bronze crafstman-style pulls would work nicely. Here's a page with some nice choices. http://www.signaturehardware.com/lp59

Good luck,
                          JR
                          JR

Comment

• cabinetman
                            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

Have you made any headway on handles/knobs yet?

Comment

• atgcpaul
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2003
                              • Maryland
                              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by cabinetman
                              Have you made any headway on handles/knobs yet?
                              Not really. I appreciate all the comments, though. My Rockler pulls came in mid-week and to make things simple, I'm going to stick with them. As someone here said, if I ever get a lathe I may turn them later. I do like the modified Shaker pulls you suggested and I did like those other metal pulls someone linked but I just need to power through. The baby comes in 2.5 months and I hope to start putting finish on this weekend and maybe be done by next weekend or the end of the month. I still have a crib to build so I'm not going to sweat the pull decision.

Just a little more sanding to do.

Paul

Comment

Working...