• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Have you worked with ebony?

Originally, I was going to plug the screw holes in the side of my Maloof dresser
    with shop cut, 3/8" walnut plugs. Well, I bought a 4" square chunk of 8/4
    ebony two years ago that I was saving for a special project. This was it, I
    thought. I chucked up a new 3/8" tapered plug cutter in my drill press and
    started plugging away.

What a nightmare! Even going slow and steady the first few plugs just exploded
    in the cutter. Pretty surprising when it happened. You really have to fight
    the instinct to let go of the wood when that happens. Good thing I was
    using a fence. Each time it happened, I was thinking, "Well, it's not too late
    to go back to walnut plugs" or "There goes another 25 cents!" I had 36 plugs
    to cut! Was I going to make it?

The worst was when I'd get a few good plugs cut then one bad cut would not
    only destroy the plug I was cutting but the one I just cut next to it. That was
    frustrating!

In the end, I did not need to cut 36 individual plugs. Some on my screw holes
    were drilled deep and some shallow. Since the plugs are tapered, I was able
    to glue in a few plugs until they were seated in the hole and then cut off the
    protruding end with a flush cutting saw. I found that with 30% of the holes, I was
    able to use the offcut to plug it. Thank goodness because with my success
    rate, I wasn't going to make.

How do you work with ebony? I'm convinced it's mined from the ground and
    not harvested from a tree.

My cutter only had 2 cutting surfaces. Would more be better? I also don't
    know my drill press speed. I never change it because I rarely use it. Slower
    is better for stuff this hard?

Paul
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

I don't have any answers fory you, but I am interested seeing some discussion.

I was recently able to buy a few small pieces of ebony at a very good price at Woodcraft. I plan to start using it soon and wasn't anticipating anything like this much trouble.

JR
    JR

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Ebony is one of the hardest woods I've worked with. Very dense and hard on tools. Cutting edges have to be very sharp. Drilling works best from medium to slow speeds. The cabinets below are done with Ebony veneer (the dark). Even the veneer is hard to cut without splitting. Cutting and fitting the inlays were very difficult.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I have not worked with ebony but I sometimes have trouble with plug cutters that is reduced by clamping the work piece to the fence. It sounds like you were holding it by hand. I also juggle speed around and often works better to use a higher speed - I change it several times if necessary for it to work well. I lose a few too - working in woods not as hard as ebony.

Jim

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by cabinetman
          Ebony is one of the hardest woods I've worked with. Very dense and hard on tools. Cutting edges have to be very sharp. Drilling works best from medium to slow speeds. The cabinets below are done with Ebony veneer (the dark). Even the veneer is hard to cut without splitting. Cutting and fitting the inlays were very difficult.
          C-man, did you buy the veneers or cut them yourself? If those are cabinets
          you made, by far my favorite of all your projects. Very classy. Is that someone's
          house or a business?

When I see people in wood mags work with ebony, they make it look so
          effortless. I can't imagine having much success inlaying thin slivers of ebony
          into something else without a lot of cracking and subsequent cursing.

Another wood I haven't worked with but have in the shop is wenge. I'm
          expecting an even harder time with that one. At least with ebony, the chips
          that come out are pretty clean. Like cutting into the densest chocolate or
          wax. Wenge looks like splinter city.

Next time (not for a long time), I'll see if I can go for a slower speed.

Paul

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            C-man, did you buy the veneers or cut them yourself? If those are cabinets
            you made, by far my favorite of all your projects. Very classy. Is that someone's
            house or a business?

When I see people in wood mags work with ebony, they make it look so
            effortless. I can't imagine having much success inlaying thin slivers of ebony
            into something else without a lot of cracking and subsequent cursing.

Paul

The cabinets are in a residential dining room. I bought sequenced flitches of .062 veneer. The inlays are the same as the doors and they are Satinwood stripe, another hard species. Working with hard, hardwoods is really a labor of love.

Comment

• scmhogg
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
              • BT3000

When I had to plug some screw holes with ebony, I bought a package of violin/viola pegs on ebay. They were top quality ebony and tapered just right. I kept the ends to use a knobs in the future.

Steve
              I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by scmhogg
                When I had to plug some screw holes with ebony, I bought a package of violin/viola pegs on ebay. They were top quality ebony and tapered just right. I kept the ends to use a knobs in the future.

Steve
                After the fifth blown up plug, I seriously considered buying the plugs off eBay
                but when I did a search for "ebony plug" on eBay, all I got were those
                large hoop earings people use to stretch out their ear lobes. I'll try your
                search.

I didn't have the luxury of time (or the foresight) to buy the pegs ahead of
                time since the baby to be is not going to wait for me to finish this dresser.

Paul

Comment

• rollo
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Oct 2005
                  • tacoma, wa, USA.

ebony plugs

I've cut tapered plugs (~16-20) in ebony before to plug screwholes on a walnut bookcase I made. I don't remember having any problems. I cut mine from a ~3/8" thick scrap piece and cut them all the way through. I have the self centering 4 fluted cutters that are relatively new and sharp from rockler (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...plug%20cutters) . As said before, run your DP at a lower RPM (~400 or so i think?) and you should do fine. Incidentally I've also used those cutters on Jatoba (hard, dense wood) as well and they cruised right through more than 50 plugs w/o a whimper. Good luck.
                  -Rollo

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

Ebony is dense and hard to work... It also retains energy as it dries, so if you cut it , it might fracture, or "explode", as you call it. Do you have to have tapered plugs? If so you can make them on a lathe with a sharp tool. If tapered is not needed, I'd still turn straight plugs on the lathe, but they'd be easier than tapered. Have fun...

Comment

• warrenp
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2004
                      • Kentucky, USA.

I needed some Ebony plugs and cut some 1/4" square x 4" long pieces.

I then turned it on the lathe to the shape I wanted. I also made some small knobs for some boxes in the same way.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

You should really learn to check and modify your drill press speed, its not very hard and makes a great difference in how things drill. See the thread linked below. There are charts showing the correct speed for many types of cutters and hardwoods or softwoods. Usually hardwoods require a considerably slower speed than soft, in my recollection.

This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Fujino-machi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan.
                          • Ryobi BT-3000

I recovered ebony from an old Chinese table for use as the panels in my A&C loveseat last fall. The worst part was planing the stuff, since the panels were thin and they really didn't want to go through my thickness planer. As you discovered, the stuff tends to chip/explode a lot when cut.

==========
                          ". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
                          Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Comment

Working...