• Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Originally posted by young woodworker
    I can pick one up with a coupon for $100 where I am. Is there anything else that I will need in order to use it or to make good mortises?
    Interested in the response to this, as I think hand chisels will still be needed for cleanup (cutters dull). But I want to see what else they recommend.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I would not get the HF mortiser. At least research it. I seem to remember negative comments. I have the Jet mortiser. It is about $200 and it or the Delta are about the cheapest mortisers I think you will be happy with. 1/2 inch mortises in hardwood are a little tough for my mortiser but it will do it. I think 3/8 is enough for your application.

Before I bought my mortiser, I used a plunge router with a spiral up cut bit. It is noisy and pretty slow but I got accurate mortises. I just rounded over the tenons rather than trying to square the mortises. I also used loose tenons sometimes - mortises on both sides and tenons that slide into each. Getting the shoulders tight is the toughest part of making the tenons and this is avoided with a loose mortise and tenon. I ended up with a shoulder plane (about $140) to allow me to trim the shoulders.

So for maximum speed and accuracy, I would get a hollow chisel mortiser, cut the tenons on a table saw, and trim them with a shoulder plane. But for the same results with a little more noise and time, you can use a plunge router and loose tenons. I have done multiple projects both ways and I am sure they both can give good results.

Jim

Comment

• billwmeyer
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Weir, Ks, USA.
        • BT3000

I have the HF mortiser and it cuts well. The only problem I have with it is the fence is a little finicky, however, I understand that is a problem with many brands.

Bill
        "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
          • Dec 2002
          • Fujino-machi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan.
          • Ryobi BT-3000

This past summer I made a router mortising jig based on one I found in Shopnotes. It is easy to build and works great. One of the best jigs I've found online. Just remember to use a straight spiral upcut bit to help clear the chips. You will still need a couple of chisels to clean the sides and square the ends.

Last edited by Norm in Fujino; 02-09-2010, 03:24 AM.
          ==========
          ". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
          Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Or using Norms method, you don't have to use chisels and clean/square the sides. (My brain is fried tonight)

Our old friend/member from Poland, if I remember correctly, on one of the forums, showed, taking stock the thickness of the tenon, and rounding the edges on the router table. Then he cut them to length for floating tenons.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

Relink #1000, ha ha, I STILL can't believe the tutorials get overlooked. I have the good fortune of now owning a domino, but before that, and for larger stuff, this is how I do it. It's cheap and space efficient, I wish I had room for a dedicated mortiser, but I don't, I'd rather have my drum sander.

http://bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=27419
              Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...