• Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Cutting circular parts

As part of a jewelry box I'm starting, I want to use a circular piece of wood approx 1.25" x 1/8-3/16" thick.

Does anyone know of a way to achieve this without having a pilot hole in the center of the "disk" as it will be standing on end as part of an ornament on the top of the box.

BTW, I do have a drill press.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • jziegler
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Salem, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

How about making a template (which would have the hole) and then using a router with a bearing straight bit to cut the final part? Use double sided tape to hold the parts together for the routher cut, or use a clamp and carefully rearrange to finish the cut.

Jim

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

I'd probably just use my drafting circle template or a compass to draw a circle on the piece of wood and then take it to my scrollsaw and rough out the shape then sand it for the final shape. If I didn't have a scroll saw I'd use my coping saw.

If I had a bunch to do I'd try it on my drill press with a wing cutter without the pilot bit and double stick tape.
      Erik

Comment

• phi1l
        • Oct 2009
        • Madison, WI

Long this line. I am trying to determine the best way to make a tapered hole. the hole is to be through a 1 1/2 think piece of wood with the small diameter 1 1/8" & the larger diameter 1 1/4". I am thinking of just using a router table with an appropriate wedge on the surface, and a long straight bit. Then starting with a straight hole of the smaller diameter, & a template as a guide, rotate the piece around the bit, hopefully maintaining a consistent taper.

Anyone have any better ideas???

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

As it's been said...make a template and use it to rout the final piece. Draw a circle and cut it with band saw, scroll saw, or a jig saw. The edge can be sanded round using a flat block sander made with sanding belts, and paying attention. Or, for larger circles, a pivoting trammel arm hot glued to the center used with finesse works pretty good.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Do you have a lathe and miter saw? Make it round in the diameter you want, cut the thickness slice you want and done...

I would imagine it would be a bit harder to do, but one of those drill press vertical lathe jigs might do the trick if you don't have a lathe...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by cabinetman
              As it's been said...make a template and use it to rout the final piece. Draw a circle and cut it with band saw, scroll saw, or a jig saw. The edge can be sanded round using a flat block sander made with sanding belts, and paying attention. Or, for larger circles, a pivoting trammel arm hot glued to the center used with finesse works pretty good.

I should have added you could draw a circle and cut it with a coping saw. Just turn the blade 90 degrees to the frame, and then block sand round with the nifty type that I linked, or, use a sanding pad in a drill if you don't have a belt/disc sander, or secure the piece and use a belt sander.

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

Use a hole saw on a drill press w/ the pilot bit removed. Use a high quality saw that doesn't wobble. I've done it a few times.

BTW, you won't be able to hit exactly 1.25" because you have to account for the kerf of the saw. But you can get close.

Comment

Working...