• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Salty
    • Feb 2006
    • Akron, Ohio

Sketchup..1st try

Boy do I have a lot to learn.
    I cannot figure out how to get rid of the lines on the end panels.
    If I erase them, the shelf gets erased.
    Attached Files
    Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Your panels intersect instead of meet. If you can select the end of the lower panel, use the push pull tool to bring it to the inside face of the meeting panel.

I bet that sounded Greek didn't it?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pierhogunn2
      Established Member
      • Sep 2009

or you can go into views, and turn off display edges... that will get rid of the lines

Comment

• jkristia
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • Simi Valley, CA

if the shelf get erased when you erase one of the lines, then it is because it is one of the shelf edges you see there. One way to do this is to design it the way you would build it, meaning have the shelfs fit into a dado at that point, and leave the lenght of the shelf the corrct length. If you move the mouse over the shelf end you should see that face getting highlighted and you should be able to push it in 1/4" - that should at least take care of the lines showin in the sides face.

oops - just noticed the second pust said just that ... sorry for repeating

Jesper

Comment

• Salty
          • Feb 2006
          • Akron, Ohio

Thank you, veterans of Sketchup.
          Now I have some specifics to learn. Push/pull tool for one thing.
          I remember other drawing programs where you could 'nudge' a graphic using the cntrl-arrow keys. No such thing here.
          Jesper, asr you saying I should create the dado slots in the sides and then create the shelves?
          Would it easier to manipulate the shelf if I forst enlarged the image?
          Like I said, I have a lot of work to do to learn this...buit I want to so that is in my favor.

Thanks again all.

Salty

Comment

• jkristia
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Simi Valley, CA

I would create the shelf the size you want it, then convert it into either a group or a component.
            Then create the side, add the dado where you want it, push it in the 1/2" or however deep you want it. Then convert that into either a group or a component.

Now you have say a left side and a shelf - 2 components (or groups), now you can grap the top-left-front corner of your self, mover it to the top-inner-front corner of your dado in the side, and the shelf will 'snap' in place.

It might sound complicated, but it is really easy. Definitely look into groups and components and use it extensively. I'm by far NO expert in SketchUp, but when I use it I turn pretty much every little 'thing' into either a group or compoenent, depends on how you want to reuse it. That way you can easily move 'parts' around or hide or edit 'parts'

edit ... I'm NOT an expert... I was missing the NO

Jesper
            Last edited by jkristia; 11-09-2009, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

If you have not already done so, I would STRONGLY recommend watching the video tutorials for users who are New To Google SketchUp. Most of them are just a few minutes in length; each will show you the basics of using the various tools. The two or three hours it will take you to run through these 28 little videos will be repaid many, many times over as you continue to use the program.

And if you want a taste of just how far Sketchup can take you, watch this.
              Larry

Comment

• mschrank
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2004
                • Hood River, OR, USA.
                • BT3000

Learn to use that Push/Pull tool...it is the best tool in Sketchup, IMO.

Also, learn about creating groups and components. For example, you can draw a shelf, say 12" x 20" x 3/4". Make it a component, then you can easily create copies of that. Then start "building" the bookshelf (once you learn to use the rotate/move tool, this part gets a lot easier).

Keep at it, Sketchup is a great tool and saves a lot of time and frustration once you get the hang of it. I still have tons I could learn, but I do fine with the basics I mentioned here.
                Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• tseavoy
                  Established Member
                  • May 2009
                  • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
                  • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

No, not Greek, just Geek

Comment

• Salty
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Akron, Ohio

Thank you Larry and Mike. I'll look into those and review some more tutorials.
                    I remind myself that I use Photoshop proficiently and learned that by doing and wanting to figure things out. Hopefully this will be the same.
                    It would be nice to draw out my future projects in detail before just jumping in and making changes as I go.

Salty

Comment

Working...