• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Dovetails

I do machine made and handcut. The look of the 'fit' when machine made is appealing and much faster than doing them by hand. But, I look at hancut DT's and appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into the work.

I try to justify a nice handmade piece of furniture that has machine cut dovetails. This kind of begs the question, if a piece of furniture is handmade, justify then the use of machine made dadoes and rabbets.

Of course, either way, I'll do DT's for a price, and for my clients that want dovetails, I'll let them know the difference.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Likewise, Justify machine made rip and crosscuts, justify machine made holes (You CAN use braces and bits instead of power drills guys!).

IMHO, and what do I know anyway... the entire hand cut versus using power tools thing is a matter of personal preference. In 200 years when the great, great, great.... grandchildren are looking at that blanket chest, do you REALLY think they are going to care of great great grandpa so and so cut those dovetails with a router, or a bow saw? I don't...

There are however, lots of folks that simply LIKE doing things the old fashioned way. It gives them a feeling of continuity. Of somehow being more connected to the way things were done way back when... And that is a perfectly legit reason by me... Just not one I am gonna use.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
      • Dec 2002
      • Fujino-machi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan.
      • Ryobi BT-3000

I do dovetails rarely enough that I can't really justify the expense--both monetarily and in space--that would be required by a jig. I figured out how to do handcut dovetails some years back--I even wrote a tutorial, Handcut Dovetails after Fifty that still brings me an occasional email response from readers, so it seems to fill a niche. I'm satisfied with handcut dts at present, but like I say in my tutorial, they're an easier kind of handwork than physically pounding out mortises by hand.
      ==========
      ". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
      Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Dove-tails are much easier to cut.. much faster and have better outer appearance fit when done with a jig and machine. So... why did I sell my jig years ago after doing one set even thought now I cut most joints with machines and do have the skills to cut them by hand? But.. I won't go back to hand on joinery except I won't budge on the issue of doing DT's by hand!

Dove-tails are the classic "signature" joint that will be seen. Tenons.. dadoes.. rabbetts.. bridals.. etc. will not. I don't like the uniformity of machine cut DT's.. the lack of creativity in just how they can be placed.. the lack of choice in how wide the mouth and backs are.. the look of the machine which will not be detected in other joints. And probably the last link between me and my predecessors who crafted for 5000 years before I got the call.

Yes... it is strickly a matter of personal preference and I prefer the look of the hand-cut as I have many options on how to deliver the results. I have never seen a machine cut that fooled me as too whether the dove-tail was hand cut or machine cut yet and I doubt I will in my life-time. As stated by DB.. most that view a piece couldn't tell or could care less unless it is a "juried" piece of reproduction or copy where the jury is well aware.

So.... I will continue to do them by hand and let my neighbor make his own choice for whatever reason. BTW.. for whatever reason, I love to hand cut DT's which makes my decision even more of a no-brainer for me.

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
          • Dec 2006
          • hagerstown, md

I cut all of my joints by hand as it's part of my apprenticeship.

I've been doing some porch railings for the MIL and the rails connect to the post with a M&T. When I did the first post I drilled out most of the waste and then cleaned it up with a chisel. The remaining posts I did with chisel only and I found it actually easier to do (did take a bit longer though).

I like doing handwork as it puts me in a zen frame of mind.
          パトリック
          daiku woodworking
          ^deshi^
          neoshed

Comment

Working...