• Show
Clear All
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

Purple Heart Color

OK, I know that I should know this, but the old brain gets confused when dealing with lots of details. Perhaps some of you who are immune to 'senior moments', or who don't yet experience them, could answer a few questions.

Does purple heart turn purple after being cut, when exposed to daylight or ultra-violet light? Or, should it be purple when cut, turning brown with age or after exposure? (The stuff I have is brown when freshly cut, but I think I was told it should be purple and you have to use a UV-inhibiting finish to prevent, or delay, a color change.)

How long should I expect it to be before I begin to notice a color change?

Does 'butcher block' or 'cutting board' finish containing carnauba wax and beeswax have UV inhibitors that will affect color change?

Thanks for your help, regards, Steve
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

Appearance
    Generally straight grained, sometimes interlocked, with a fine even texture. Creamy white sapwood and vibrant purple heartwood that turns to dark-purplish brown with exposure to light.

So you may have some purple heart that never was and never will be purple. Bummer. Hope I'm wrong.

Bill,

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

when first cut its a bright purple but after exposure to light for a while will turn purple-brownish over time.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        when first cut its a bright purple but after exposure to light for a while will turn purple-brownish over time.
        Can you prevent or lessen this color change in any way?
        Richard
        Richard

Comment

• billwmeyer
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Weir, Ks, USA.
          • BT3000

Phrog,

I have never used purpleheart (yet), but from what I have been told the only way to lessen it is use a finish with a UV inhibitor and keep it out of direct sunlight.

Bill
          "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...