• Show
Clear All
  • gychang
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Sacramento, California
    • none

washer/dryer pedestal build

plan to get front loading washer/dryer combo and rather than paying $200 for pedestals, I want to build them.

Several people suggests 2x4, and plywood. I am not sure if the bottom needs some level adjustment. Anyone have good drawing or dimension for where?

thanks in advance.

gychang
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

i would imagune that the washer and dryer have individual leveling on each unit. still, if you make it too stiff then you will need to make some leveling adjustment for your base.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gychang
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006
      • Sacramento, California
      • none

some other posts have suggested leg leveler, have to see what local Lowes have.

Can't seem to find a detailed drawing or sketchup figures, so may have to just get the hands wet...

gychang

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

My washer and dryer have the factory-made pedestals with drawers. The washer/dryer bolts to the pedestal making everything one unit, then it is leveled out. They do that so the washer/dryer can't fall off the pedestal when it moves.

One nice feature of the drawer (besides storage) unit is a platform that attaches to the drawer box to raise the clothes basket off the floor closer to the opening requiring less bending while loading and less clothes spillage when unloading. A flat-topped step stool would perform the same function. Just something to think about.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

I made ours with treated wood for the uprights and 2x6 for the deck. Made it high enough for a standard plastic storage thing to slide underneath. It has 4 supports making 3 storage bays under. It's in the garage so looks are not so important. All the materials I had on hand but I would have used the 2X6 on top anyway as plywood tends to act as a drum head and when a machine make some noise it's really loud.

Only thing is, you may have to raise the dryer vent it it's close to the floor. This avoids having elbows that catch the lint.

Being a front loader the water level is not as high so the drain will not have to be raised.

Bill,
          Last edited by Mr__Bill; 10-11-2009, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• drillman88
            • Dec 2007
            • Southeast
            • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

I haven't built mine yet but I had basically the same thing in mind as Bill. I couldn't use one of the metal ones because a door jamb would block the drawer from opening. The only thing I noticed about the ones in the store is they have pieces that extend up the side about 3" to keep the machine from walking off the pedestal. I don't think separate levelers would be needed.
            I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

Working...