• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Workbench progress....

In case you missed it elsewhere, I am building a proper workbench / outfeed table based on plans from Fine Woodworking. I modified their plan somewhat by flush mounting the lower shelf, using a 9" vise instead of 7", and making the top 6' long instead of 5' 2"... I have a ways to go, but wanted to show you folks the current progress...

Just a teaser shot... I am not quite done yet. I still have to lay out and drill the dog holes, lay out and drill a hole for a board jack, measure, lay out, and cut the lower shelf to size, measure cut and mount cleats for the lower shelf, mount cleats, mount lower shelf, sand it all down, and put a finish on it... So there is a good amount of work left to do, but progress is a beautiful thing to see!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Coming along quite nicely db. Are planning on bench dogs too? Are the legs laminated lumber? Finally, what have you settled on for the finish.
    Blessings,
    Chiz

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Bench dogs are definately on the to do list.

The top is 2 part lamination of 3/4 Baltic Birch ply. The base is 4x4 and 2x4 cedar, planed, jointed, and sawed to size.

The finish is going to be a very simple oil @ wax because, well because I have it...

I have another bench in the shop, that is based on 2x4s and sheathing grade ply held together with Simpson Strong ties that is scheduled to get a major rework as well. The idea is to maximize work surface, while at the same time making the most storage space I possibly can...

FWIW, I double checked the height of this bench. It is 1/8" lower than the table height of the BT... We are good to go for outfeed support!
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• iceman61
        • Oct 2007
        • West TN
        • Bosch 4100-09

OK I can't see the picture for some reason.

Comment

• bigstick509
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Macomb, MI, USA.
          • BT3100

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• jhart
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Looking good, Db.
            Joe
            "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by iceman61
              OK I can't see the picture for some reason.
              Do you have webshots blocked for some reason? The pic is hosted on webshots...

Comment

• iceman61
                • Oct 2007
                • West TN
                • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by dbhost
                Do you have webshots blocked for some reason? The pic is hosted on webshots...
                No I don't. I turned off my pop-up blocker, added webshots to my allowed, & still nothing.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                  • BT3100

nice! i like the simple design. looks sturdy.

is that a hf vice? thats the same hf vice that i have on my bench! i put one on the narrow end as well in the middle. this way, when i get the bench dogs in, i will be able to clamp long pieces or multiple door ......

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                    nice! i like the simple design. looks sturdy.

is that a hf vice? thats the same hf vice that i have on my bench! i put one on the narrow end as well in the middle. this way, when i get the bench dogs in, i will be able to clamp long pieces or multiple door ......
                    Yep, that's an HF vise... The design is a modification of the Fine Woodworking Get Started in Woodworking bench design. I changed up the top, and the lower shelf / spreaders to suit my needs better. I REALLY did not like the 5' 2" top length, 6' works better for me.

iceman61, I have no clue why you can't see the photo. How strange...
                    My webshots home page has it. Just go to dbhost's home workshop and it's the last page there... (For now).

Comment

• iceman61
                      • Oct 2007
                      • West TN
                      • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by dbhost
                      iceman61, I have no clue why you can't see the photo. How strange...
                      My webshots home page has it. Just go to dbhost's home workshop and it's the last page there... (For now).
                      Thanks DB....that worked

Comment

Working...