• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve_b
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2006
    • Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Plans for a 'tool' stand

I have a couple of table top pieces that I wish to make standalone (giving me back table top space) since I work better from plans (cabinet construction isn't something that I have done) if I could find a set of plans that I can scale to the height that I require. And I will add some form of mobile base.

Can one of you point me in the correct direction?

thank you
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I've got some plans available for a flip-top stand I designed for my planer. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=39913

I got a lot of my clues from magazines; shopnotes, fine woodworking and wood magazine.
    Erik

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

You might want to look into Wood Magazine's Bench Tool System

Alex Franke built something similar a while back, I had considered it, but scrubbed the idea with the idea of building a shed (the tool tower would be too tall). Now that it looks like I might just end up staying garage based, I have put the idea back on the table as it were.

Another, less time consuming approach would be to mount heavy duty shelf standards / brackets to the studs, and then mount your bench top tools to mount plates, preferrably with the bolt heads recessed. Don Ho shows this done in an old thread I started about small shop organization.

Don Ho's post.

First you can see the tools in the stowed position, so you can get an idea of how the system works for storage.

Next you see how he uses them in function. I like the idea of the rolling tool box as those things when filled provide a good amount of mass to absorb vibration and such. But for most bench top tools that isn't an issue.

There are huge advantages to both approaches.

The rack system Don Ho showed uses already used floor space, or at the most takes up only half as much floor space as the Wood magazine system. (The bench to put the mount plates on should be something already in your shop). And it can be put together in a couple of hours of taking your time and drilling, making counterbores for carriage bolt heads and such. What it Will NOT do is showcase your woodworking skills, or provide for any additional peg board storage.

The Wood Magazine rack system is an attractive system (eye of the beholder), and will showcase your mastery of some fairly simple joinery techniques. It also provides the lower cabinet that can be used for things like storing small toolboxes, routers, and what not. The additional peg board real estate, if you use it can be very valuable in your shop.

Good luck deciding, and let us know what you finally decide to build...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

One of the magazines had a good article on a versatile shop cart, maybe within the last year. There were three variations on the same basic design. Hopefully, someone might recall the article.
        Erik

Comment

• Turaj
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
          • BT3000 (1998)

Steve

Not sure what you are exactly looking for but I made this tool cart to house bunch of tools as well as place for bench tools:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tool cart 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	784450

Click image for larger version

Name:	tool cart 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	784451

I have not decided what goes on top permanently but this should give you an idea. The plans are from ShopSmith that I had to adjust for the dimensions. Let me know if you are interested in the plans.
          Turaj (in Toronto)
          "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

Working...