• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pierhogunn
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

how to dig a 24" dia 15' deep hole

Any thoughts on this one? need to make a hole 24" dia, and 15' deep, line it with a 6mil poly liner, and then put a heat exchanger in it made of aluminum...

also, how would you seal the top of the bag, it will be right at, or above ground level, covered with a well top

on second thought, how about just a 12" or 16" dia hole?
    Last edited by pierhogunn; 07-31-2009, 11:41 AM. Reason: wanted to add some smaller size holes
    It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Only way I can think of is drill it, but would need a well driller or similar boom truck with a big auger bit to go that deep. I'd imagine something could be rented but it would be expensive.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• docrowan
      • Mar 2007
      • New Albany, MS
      • BT3100

I don't see how you have any choice but to hire it done.
      - Chris.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

A post hole digger with some really long extensions?

For that size, a pier-rig would be in order. Like the ones for foundations. It'll be expensive for just one hole, you'll be paying travel & setup costs too.
        Erik

Comment

• pierhogunn
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2003
          • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

that's what I figured, but I wanted to get some other opinions before I told my friend that the overall idea isn't feasable
          It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• mineengineer
            Established Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
            • BT3000 and BT3100 Frankensaw

What kind of ground?

What kind of strata are you drilling into? Dirt or backfill is easy, start getting into the harder rocks and you are talking a lot more time to do the hole. I haven't seen too many 24' holes lately, biggest Ive seen in a while were 18" by 240 foot deep blastholes that take a day each to drill. Like Crockett said.....look for a well digging company or a company that drills pillings/casons for large building foundations. If all else fails, try to find the biggest set of post hole diggers available and put extensions on them
            Link

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Is there any new construction going on around his location, especially residential? If so, he might be able to cut a deal with a rig that's already in the area. It's a long shot, but plausable.

Also, with the big slowdown in building it might not be as expensive as we think.
              Last edited by pelligrini; 07-31-2009, 12:41 PM.
              Erik

Comment

• docrowan
                • Mar 2007
                • New Albany, MS
                • BT3100

I was thinking of a safety issue. I can't imagine a homeowner digging such a whole in day without a professional rig. It would be dangerous to leave this open and in a neighborhood I would be afraid to cover with plywood - too much danger of kids playing around where they shouldn't.
                - Chris.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2007
                  • Tacoma, WA
                  • BT3000

Around here they have a rig that looks like a perverted excavator. The auger is about 24" and they line the hole with a flexible plastic culvert and then fill it with re-bar and concrete. They drill down through the less than stable soil till they hit bedrock or something they like. Then they build a house on them or pour a slab on a bunch of them. For your needs, if the ground is not hard pan or rock and the hole will stay there while you put your stuff in and cap it I would think an excavation contractor could drill it in a few minutes. If the site is accesable and you are lucky enough to find someone who can stop between one job and the next it could be a simple and not all that expensive soulution.

The other option is a post hole digger with really long handles and someone else to use it.

Bill

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

The problem with a post hole digger and extensions is what happens if you hit rock. Plus I shudder to think of pulling that 15' up every time, although I suppose you could lower a bucket, fill the bucket and haul that up.
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2007
                      • Tacoma, WA
                      • BT3000

Originally posted by crokett
                      The problem with a post hole digger and extensions is what happens if you hit rock. Plus I shudder to think of pulling that 15' up every time, although I suppose you could lower a bucket, fill the bucket and haul that up.
                      You could always get a small child and lower him down the hole with a little shovel and a pail on a rope.

Anonymous

Comment

• Daryl
                        • May 2004

If the soil isn't rocky you might use well tile. You dig the first one in and for successive tile, just stack them and then undercut the bottom one with high pressure water. The weight will cause them to keep sinking. You will need a pump too in order to get the water back out.

http://www.concretebuildingsupply.co...php?page_id=47
                        Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• Russianwolf
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                          • One of them there Toy saws

a spoon and REALLY long arms.
                          Mike
                          Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• gjat
                            • Nov 2005
                            • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                            • BT3100

Great suggestions, but they really won't work. Drilling holes like that is what we do to set poles or foundations for poles or structures. Everything from 2'x3' deep to 7' x 45' deep. You only need a boom-auger (dangle-digger) to excavate the hole. Pretty much 15 is close to the max depth you can do with those, depending on soil conditions, water table, and rocks. Give a electrical construction company a call. Anybody who sets wood poles for power or ballfield lighting would have it. If I worked for a small company, I'd probably do it for about $500 cash if there was no major rock, good access, and no water problems and it would take me a couple of hours to set-up, drill, and de-mobilize.

Since you said you could have a choice of diameters, what exactly are you trying to get in the ground?

Comment

• jonmulzer
                              • Dec 2007
                              • Indianapolis, IN

In the areas of NC I am familiar with from a construction standpoint, it is 3'-5' to rock. That would be your biggest issue.
                              "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

Working...