Dry Fitting Biscuit Joinery

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JSUPreston
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • 1189
    • Montgomery, AL.
    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

    #16
    Originally posted by poolhound
    When you open various electronic items you will find the little packs of silica. I keep these and pop one into my storage containers for biscuits and dowels.
    Chicklets!
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

    Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

    Comment

    • rnelson0
      Established Member
      • Feb 2008
      • 424
      • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
      • Firestorm FS2500TS

      #17
      You can always cut an oversized biscuit hole and use the next smallest biscuit size. If you are just using it for alignment, this should be enough.

      Comment

      • LCHIEN
        Super Moderator
        • Dec 2002
        • 22085
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

        #18
        Originally posted by atgcpaul
        Ditto for me AND I'm using P-C biscuits with a P-C joiner. It doesn't happen
        for every single biscuit but enough that I keep a pair of pliers handy. I also
        keep my mallet handy to knock them in during glue-up.

        I've begun tossing in desiccant bags into the biscuit bottle with limited
        success. Not too many have broken using pliers, though.
        Never come close to breaking them with the pliers, many dry biscuits will press in by hand or when dry fitted by the second piece pushing them together. With 0- and 10-sized biscuits, there's not much to grab onto and in Houston sweaty hands grabbing the biscuits doesn't help much either with grip or keeping them dry.

        When gluing I often tap them home with a rubber mallet to make sure they are seated all the way (at least 50% or past the mid-line) especially if i have not dry-fitted in case i hadn't run the cutter in all the way.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

        Comment

        • cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • 15216
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

          #19
          Biscuits can be used for assembly, but it gets obvious, even with dry fitting, not the best method for joinery. IMO, it's actually a very poor method, with very little cross strength. Also not a predictable alignment method. Just about any traditional joinery method is better than biscuits.
          .

          Comment

          • shoottx
            Veteran Member
            • May 2008
            • 1240
            • Plano, Texas
            • BT3000

            #20
            The one other issue with biscuit alignment is having the biscuit slots align. I hav found by marking the carcass for the slots and then using a bench top or other flat surface as a register point the alignment is better. if the slots are tipped the biscuits will bind.
            Often in error - Never in doubt

            Mike

            Comment

            Working...