• Show
Clear All
  • edisonboy
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2002
    • Greenville, SC, USA.

Chalice Case - Joinery Question

Hi Guys,

First off, I know it's been a wile, but I thought I would see how things were going with you all and get some info on a new project.

A friend of mine is being ordained at the end of the month and he has asked if I had any ideas for a case for his Chalice. I thought some full blind dovetail joints and (forget what exactly what it is called) seamless gain wrap around.

What would you suggest for wood? I guess I'm looking for something exotic and strong.

This is what he sent to me as a reference:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Thanks,

Ed
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

You might show him some samples, or pictures of different species to see what he likes. As for joinery, you have many choices, and part of that decision may rest with what is selected for the wood.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

that link you show is very plain for what sounds like an important symbolic item in his chosen calling.

Better hardware is needed for one thing.
      Some inlay or complex (Incra double dovetails for example) might be appropriate if you have the resources, skills and time.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

I think I would keep the joinery simple but strong - splined or biscuited mitres and go with a highly figured wood to be the accent. Maybe something like zebrawood.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• edisonboy
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2002
          • Greenville, SC, USA.

Thanks guys! I'll see what he thinks. LCHIEN, I love the joints you posted, but I also like crokett's idea about letting the wood speak for it's self... hmmmm.

I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Working...