• Show
Clear All
  • rnelson0
    Established Member
    • Feb 2008
    • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
    • Firestorm FS2500TS

Preparing for finish

So you have sanded at 80, 100, 150, 220, whatever grits were necessary. Now it is time to put on the finish, sealer, paint, or whatever is appropriate.

What do you guys do to prep the surface? After sanding at 220, there tends to be a nice dust overall and usually some grooves or joints where it is laying fairly heavy. How do you guys get this off without creating other problems, like using water to clean it could?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

air compressor nozzle (oil-less air compressor), followed by tack cloth
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• rnelson0
      Established Member
      • Feb 2008
      • Firestorm FS2500TS

I do not happen to have one of those. I have just been wiping it down, but it seems like an endless task - no matter what, there is always something more to wipe.

Comment

• Tom Miller
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Twin Cities, MN
        • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Could you buy an air compressor?

Sorry, it's just that it'd be perfect for the nooks and crannies that you're talking about. In fact, you could even consider one of those duster cans, if it's just for a few hard to get to spots. But I'd probably try a clean paint brush first. If I didn't have an air compressor....

Many times my finish is a wipe-on poly, so perfect dusting prior isn't so critical.

Regards,
        Tom

Comment

• Shep
          • Nov 2008
          • Columbus, OH
          • Hitachi C10FL

A shop vac is always good to suck up the majority of the dust. I would then follow it with a tack cloth and rub it down to not miss anything.
          -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Using a blast of air has the ability to put the fine dust airborne in your work area. If you can blow it off outside, or in another area might save you from the dust nibs.

I don't use the conventional tack cloth with the sticky coating as it can leave a residue on the work. A reusable dry tack cloth like this works pretty good. Or, depending on the finish used you could use a damp lint free rag, like "T" shirt material with a solvent like lacquer thinner, or naptha.

Comment

• rnelson0
              Established Member
              • Feb 2008
              • Firestorm FS2500TS

Could you buy an air compressor?
              I just bought the Kreg master kit and a few add-ons with my Bowling League wins, so I am broke for the immediate future. I will get a compressor tho - when I can find a good one on CL or at a garage sale. I never thought of using the compressor for this tho, so it is another reason to get one

Thanks guys. I will continue to wipe/vac/brush/repeat until i can get a compressor.

Comment

• drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

I start with a shop vac with a brush attachment, my vac has a hepa filter. I then wipe it down with a wet towel. This serves as a tac cloth and raises the grain, which is good, as I use water finishes. I then let it dry, sand lightly again with 220, then repeat, then I'm ready for a coat of shellac.
                Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

Depending on the work piece and the finish used I use a combination of vac, tack cloth and compressor,

If the surfaces are flat then the shop vac and a tack cloth works fine, if there are nooks, cranies and corners for the dust to collect in I usually blow them out.

I also often use the air gun and shop vac together so the vac gets to suck up at least some of the blown off dust.
                  Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                  techzibits.com

Comment

• klefkow
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Apr 2006

I use a microfiber cloth which is amazing at picking up the fine dust.

Comment

• ironhat
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by rnelson0
                      I do not happen to have one of those. I have just been wiping it down, but it seems like an endless task - no matter what, there is always something more to wipe.
                      That attitude of, "If I could just get it a little better," is what will make your end product a fine end piece. You're more than half way to being better than most!
                      Blessings,
                      Chiz

Comment

• drumpriest
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                        • Powermatic PM 2000

klefkow, do you just drop those microfiber clothes into your laundry then?
                        Keith Z. Leonard
                        Go Steelers!

Comment

• cabinetman
                          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

Originally posted by drumpriest
                          klefkow, do you just drop those microfiber clothes into your laundry then?

I wash them separately from regular laundry and they don't lose any effectiveness.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I brush it.. vacuum with a Shop Vac with brush. I only go to 180 with hard-wood and 220 with soft-wood. Before the final sanding grit.. I wipe the wood ligthly with Distilled Water to raise the grain. The Distilled does not contain minerals as natural water that can cause a problem. After it dries.. I do the final sanding.

Then I shop vac.. use a tack cloth.. then just befoe applying finish wipe the surface with a clean cloth and Naptha. The Naptha will take off any possible residue and also highlight any sanding marks that might be left. Once that is done and the Naptha dries (completely dries) .... apply finish.

Good luck...

Comment

Working...