• Show
Clear All
  • ryanps
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2006
    • Maumee, Ohio
    • ShopFox W1677

Truck-bed rails

The images below are of some rails I built for my truck-bed. They will serve only as decorative pieces (I won't be using them to tie anything down, etc...).

The design came from an issue of American Wordworker (I believe).

I haven't sanded or stained them just yet and the wood is white oak. I plan on using Epifanes (high-gloss varnish) to aid in weather/sun resistance. For the most part the truck is garaged 365 days a year.

Now I am to the point of how to mount them onto the truck bed. My truck bed did not come with pre-drilled stake holes (I believe that is what they are called).

Best case scenario would be a clamping system that would allow me to remove them (if I sell the truck or for some other unforeseen reason).
    Does anyone have a source for different shape clamps? Any links would be appreciated. I might be able to fabricate some as well.

Other option would be to drill down through the top of the rail, through the truck bed and use a bolt to secure the rail.

I don't know if 3M automotive tape would be enough to hold these on?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
  • MikeMcCoy
    • Nov 2004
    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
    • Delta Contractor Saw

Would camper top clamps work for you?

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Camper_shell_parts.htm

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

Properly prepped 3M tape will hold hold them on if they are only decorative. That tape is considered permanent.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

On my old Ranger, I had a stake side sideboard rack, sort of like a plumbers rack that I built for it. The legs recessed into the bed pockets, and I drove lag bolts with fender washers through the access holes into the wood of the legs. Held secure, with full loads, including two canoes, and all the camping / paddling / duck hunting gear you could want to carry in a compact pickup. Why not go that route?
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• ryanps
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2006
          • Maumee, Ohio
          • ShopFox W1677

Thanks guys.
          I ended up using clamps designed for lighting for music DJs.
          Similar to the photo.
          Will post over in the Finished Projects forum.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...