• Show
Clear All
  • DUD
    Royal Jester
    • Dec 2002
    • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

My Next

big project is a set of bookcases and window seat. The wall is 18 feet wide, the

bookcases will be 52 inches wide each, leaving the window seat to be 112 inches wide. I

thought about making the bottom of the bookcase 18 inches deep. Dou You think that

this is deep enough for a window seat? Also do You think I need a toekick like a kitchen

cabinet? The cabinet will be painted inside and oak on the top and outside . There is to

be storage in the window seat also. As I have plenty of doors, it should not be a problem.

Thanks for any input, Bill
    5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Wow Bill, that's a big project. A window seat 18" deep is fine. If you're gonna sit on it, it should be 18" high to the finished height whether it's wood or a cushion. That's a comfy seat height.

Having a toe kick makes it easier to walk up to or do things at the wall, like open and close windows/drapes, etc. For a purely aesthetic look, you may want no toe kick, but a straight front to the floor with some decorative base moulding. Toe kicks do perform the function of helping to keep the bottom area from getting scuffed.

Comment

• DUD
      Royal Jester
      • Dec 2002
      • Ryobi BT3000

That makes sense. This makes My second big bookcase project, The first one is in My

GrandDaughters room. Next question is does it need to be deeper than 18 inches?

Thanks, Bill

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by DUD
        Next question is does it need to be deeper than 18 inches?

Thanks, Bill

It doesn't need to be deeper than 18". Seat depth (front to back) at 18" is ergonomically comfortable, and visually pleasing. If you put a cushion on top figure whatever the thickness you use that it finishes at 18" from the floor. If you leave it just wood and no cushion, that top should finish at 18" from the floor. I didn't know if I was clear in my last post.

Comment

• DUD
          Royal Jester
          • Dec 2002
          • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks C-Man, I understood, just was curious. Bill

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

16-18 clear is a good depth for built in bneches. Sometimes I'll go deeper depending on the way it will be finished. I've seen some clients interior designers want to do a bunch of pillows on the seat and back. If that's the case I'll go with 24" or more in depth.

I've also done some that were 36" deep. The clients young kids were going to use them like a daybed. We cushoned up the sides of the cabs on each end of the seat too. It made a nice little nap alcove/play/future reading area.
            Erik

Comment

• DUD
              Royal Jester
              • Dec 2002
              • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks, I will have to check with LOML to get Her thoughts on this. Bill

Comment

Working...