• Show
Clear All
  • lrogers
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Mobile, AL. USA.
    • BT3000

Back Yard Playset

Belinda and I are thinking about setting up a play set in the backyard for when the grandkids visit. Wally Wolrd has one on sale now that is stained cedar. Any one know how these hold up to the elements? Is it safe to treat it with something like Thompson's Water Seal?
    Larry R. Rogers
    The Samurai Wood Butcher
    http://splash54.multiply.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54
  • robtonya
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2009

I've always been told Thompson's is something to avoid. They say the best stuff is sold at paint stores, such as Sherman Williams. We ended up getting a Rainbow swing set, so I can't comment on Wally Worlds, but no complaints with the Rainbow.

Comment

• Copper
      Established Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Madison, WI.
      • BT3100

I wouldn't worry about rot with the stained cedar. However, the color will fade pretty quickly. We haven't treated ours with anything since I can live with the fading. We got it at Sam's Club.

I'll give you a heads up about putting it together. The bolt holes should be considered pilot holes. Dig out your spade bit and re-drill all the bolt holes during assembly. It will save you a lot of grief. I wish I had started doing this earlier in the process of putting ours together.
      - Dennis

"If your mind goes blank, don't forget to turn off the sound." --Red Green
      and yes, it's a potato.

Comment

• mschrank
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2004
        • Hood River, OR, USA.
        • BT3000

We put a playset up for our kids a couple years ago. I'd strongly suggest comparing the Wally World set to one from Rainbow or the like. We did, and even with a woodworking background, I didn't catch all of the shoddy aspects of the Wally World set until I compared them.

I don't mean to sound like a snob, but when it comes to a structure that my kids will be playing on, I want it to be built well.

We ended up with a set by Rainbow. It came pre-stained, and still looks good after two full years.

And IMHO: Thompson's Water Seal excels only at marketing. I used some on a small deck once...didn't protect the wood for even a full year.
        Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• buckeye95
          Established Member
          • May 2003
          • Columbus, Ohio.
          • Ridgid TS2400

I concur with Mike.

We bought a Walmart playset about 3 years ago. The cedar has held up well, but the main structural members on ours are not cedar, but rather 2x4s encased in plastic. At the point where the cedar rungs of our ladder and monkey bars enter the drilled out holes in these members, water leaks in and has rotted them. Even the cedar rungs themselves have deteriorated not from the weather per se, but rather from water getting in and sitting on them. I have since replaced two if these members with regular 2x4s (painted) as well as replacing all of the rungs. Fortunately, the first rung that broke off to alert me of the problem was on the first step up, so my daughter was not hurt.

Good luck,

Pete

Comment

• vaking
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2005
            • Montclair, NJ, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100-1

I don't have any playsets but I have a cedar swing in my back yard. I did not put any protection on it, installed just as it came. Had been there for more than 5 years and still holding. In 5 years you will be getting rid of a playset anyway because kids will be beyond the playset.
            Alex V

Comment

• dielectric
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2008
              • Kenosha, WI
              • BT3000

Here's another -1 for the WallyWorld playset. The neighbors across the street have one, and it's total junk. The swing beam totally let go and put some kids on their butts, and the whole thing leans like that tower in Pisa. He spent some money rebuilding it this spring, so I guess you could figure that into the purchase price. As long as you don't go overboard and built the Taj Mahal, Menards and Lowes carry some playsets for a reasonable price. They fall somewhere between a Rainbow and the Walmart sets as far as construction goes.

Comment

• DaveS
                • May 2003
                • Minneapolis,MN

I built my own for not a lot more money that the store bought ones, and a lot less money than the Rainbow systems.

It was one of the funnest projects I have ever done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20070418_0702.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	784156

Here is a few more pics:
                http://picasaweb.google.com/seekins/...eat=directlink

Comment

• krdomingue
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by DaveS
                  I built my own for not a lot more money that the store bought ones, and a lot less money than the Rainbow systems.

[/URL]
                  That is impressive!

Comment

• lrogers
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Mobile, AL. USA.
                    • BT3000

Thanks guys!
                    Larry R. Rogers
                    The Samurai Wood Butcher
                    http://splash54.multiply.com
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Cedar has a natural resistance to insects and the elements. Whatever it is treated with will eventually break down losing its UV properties. Prolonging protection over time can be done with a BLO/ms mix applied periodically. A UV stabilizer like Polytek or similar can be added to the mix.

Comment

• wbsettle
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Mar 2006
                        • Wilmington, NC
                        • BT3100

I'll 2nd the Lowe's kit. I'm sure the Rainbow quality level kits are better, but 5x? I would also have loved to designed my own, but with some 30-40 hours just to assemble a kit, I can't imagine the extra time needed for design, lay out, cutting, and drilling a custom unit. Especially given how fast the kids outgrow them. After only 2 years, ours is mostly something that makes the yard harder to mow.

I would encourage some extra attention on the length of the swing beam on any kit considered. To me, most kits seemed a little short for safely spacing 3 swings apart, even though they met some "official" guidelines for such. The stock Lowe's kit came with an 8' or slightly under beam, but I replaced it with a 12'.

-Brent

Comment

Working...