• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

How do I matt a finish?

I painted a totally ugly, utility grade Remington 870 shotgun(remeber when they ame out with the very cheap ones to be sold in department and discount stores in the early ''70s?. I painted the stock in a Rustoleum "Stone" textured paint and it was *great*! Since firearms are tools and get bumped about I decided that this finish would benefit from a coating or three of satin, Minwax polyvinyl acrylic. Well, satin ain't flat and now my perfect turkey gun is a gleeming eyesore. What do you think - shouldn I give it another coat and as it's setting up, dobb it with cheesecloth to mute the sheen? Would that work or am I back to square one - strip, prime and paint?
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • Rich P
    Established Member
    • Apr 2003
    • Foresthill, CA, USA.
    • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

I would think a quick rub out with fine steel wool should work fine.
    Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

• Daryl
      • May 2004

Hah, I painted a Marlin 60 with the same stuff. Mine is a ugly green tho. and it does sparkle in the sun. My plan has been to give it a camo type paint job when I get a chance.
      Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Rich P
        I would think a quick rub out with fine steel wool should work fine.
        This stuff is *really* bumpy andheavily textured. I'd either be knocking off teh texture or I'd have steel wool stuck all over it. Good thought, though. If there was a solvent...

Originally posted by Daryl
        Hah, I painted a Marlin 60 with the same stuff. Mine is a ugly green tho. and it does sparkle in the sun. My plan has been to give it a camo type paint job when I get a chance.
        It came out glossy, Daryl? Wow, not even close here in it's original finish. It *was* perfect before my brainiac trick!
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

I don't have any magic tips for you Chiz. But your post about the 870 sure brought back memories. I had one that dated before the 70s, but someone stole it right out of my house! Sure had some good times with it.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

You could add another clear coat with a flattening agent. They are usually amorphous silica (or crystalline silica) and are available to be compatible with the type of coating used. It can be very toxic. Heed all warnings and directions for use. You can find it at any dedicated paint and coatings supplier, such as Sherwin Williams.

Comment

• Wood_workur
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2005
              • Ohio
              • Ryobi bt3100-1

I've found that if you want a nice non gloss finish your best bet is to apply only gloss and then rub it down to the sheen you want. This way the finish isn't cloudy.

I'd hit it with some 320 now, then a coat or two of gloss, a final rub down with 320 then some steel wool.
              Alex

Comment

• ironhat
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004

You haven't seen one of these finishes, Alex. It's like someone putting bits of stics and dirt into wet paint. There is no capacity to sand this finish. It's just too coarse but it's great for getting a grip on the stock. Man, I'm upset with myself.
                Blessings,
                Chiz

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by ironhat
                  You haven't seen one of these finishes, Alex. It's like someone putting bits of stics and dirt into wet paint. There is no capacity to sand this finish. It's just too coarse but it's great for getting a grip on the stock. Man, I'm upset with myself.
                  HF has a sandblaster!

Here: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=30979
                  or here: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93221

Have fun!
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• pecker
                    Established Member
                    • Jun 2003

The Borg's carry a product, which I think is called Liquid Sandpaper. It's for removing gloss on a paint job between coatings.

http://www.thewinningfinish.com/plas...iquidSandpaper

Comment

• Roloff
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2009

Pecker already mentioned the product that came to mind: Liquid sander can knock the gloss off. If you want, you can then spritz a few coats of a matte finish on it, I'd use a spray can.

Comment

• ironhat
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2004

Good thought, pecker. I think that I may just have some of that around!
                        Blessings,
                        Chiz

Comment

Working...