X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve_ma
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2005

routing with a template

I have had mixed results routing with a template and I looking for some advice. I want to use mdf templates to built parts with curved and straight runs. Last time I tried this, I used a 1/4 in. flush cutting router bit. I didnt work well because I had too much wood to remove and I kept splinting the wood. Problem? (a) the wood ? (b) removing too much with a small bit - try a larger bit? (c) wrong approach ? I was cutting red oak...... and I didnt have problems with it splintering in round overs for example. (Was a new freud bit too)

I another project, I used a small spiral bit (less than 1/4 in) to route cutouts in 3/8 fir ply. I used a plunge router with the base as the guide and was able to cut very nicely. Soft wood, small amount of material removed. Worked great.

For my project, I will be cutting hardwood so I dont think a small spiral bit will work. I do seem some large ones with bearings, but I dont know the right thing to try.

Bearing on the top, bearing on the bottom? Straight bit, spiral bit?

I could clamp the pieces to a workbench and route by hand, like I did with the flush cut and red oak. Or I try double sided tape and do it on the router table. That would seem faster, but I have no experience with holding power of double sided tape and if the part slips, thats a PITA.

Any tips appreciated. Thanks
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

How much wood were you trying to remove? I usually shoot for no more than 1/8 inch. Also I use a bottom bearing bit in the router table. When I make my patterns, I try to build them in a way that they will either clamp the work in place or I can screw the work onto the pattern. I also make large handles to keep my hands away from spinning bits.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

I do the same as Richard. Sometimes the wood will just split out, red oak being IMHO prone to this. Careful climb cuts( cutting with the rotation of the bit) can prevent it. Rough cut to within 1/16" and you'll have better results.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

as the others said, precut to between 1/16th and 1/8" from the final pattern.
        I use the largest bit that will fit the corners I have in the pattern.
        Since you are going around a complete 360 degree pattern, at some point you will be climb cutting so be careful feed reasonably and don't take too big a bite.
        When feeding I take a quick pass and remove most but not all the way to the template, then a bit more slower and deliberate but taking off very little for the final pass.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

What the OPs said about rough cutting close to the final size.

Not sure if you have a router table but I find you can get better control and results if you have the bit in the table and are moving the workpiece rather than the other way around.
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• steve_ma
            Forum Newbie
            • Aug 2005

Thanks, I probably left more than an 1/8 in some cases. Sounds like a larger bit, cut closer to the line, but no over! I am not so good on the bandsaw. I have router table and that would be easier - some patterns I could screw down.

But how well does double sided tape work?

On the router table, do you put the template on the bottom or top. Does it matter?

Thanks

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

Some double sided tape works great, some not so great. I've had the best luck with the expensive foam kind. The thin kind works but you have to remove every speck of dust or it simply will not stick. Some of my patterns I just brad nail onto the workpiece on the side that will not be seen when the project is assembled.

I put the template on the side needed depending on the bit I choose or if I'm using a guide bushing.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• softop41
                Established Member
                • Jul 2004
                • Plainfield, IL, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Steve,
                Everything everyone else has said and I use two-sided tape almost totally. I do, however, use the carpet tape type with woven mesh in the tape for strength.
                HTH
                Jerry
                Jerry
                Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• Sawatzky
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2005
                  • CA
                  • Ridgid TS3650

I just used carpet tape today for pattern cutting circles. Worked great!

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

i dont trust tape for something that is being fed into sharp blades...I trap the template and the piece to be cut together and make a small frame around 3 side if routing an inside pattern. This prevents shifting and allows me to get a good hand hold on the workpiece. Hope this helps you some.
                    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...