• Show
Clear All
  • TN DOC
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2006
    • Modoc,SC
    • Ridgid, 3650

Two problems from a novice

Problem # 1: I'm doing some cabinets out of salvaged pecan that has worm holes and trenches that I want to retain into finality. On the 1st sanding they filled with compacted dust. I tried to blow out the dust with compressed air @ 90 psi with mixed luck; some did, some didn't. A previous test tells me that the trenches will stain differently if left, plus they might be unstable and come out later.

Problem # 2: As I've gone through the sanding process using a palm sander with 90-220 in graduated steps I've noticed "shiney" areas. Some appear like fingerprints. It seems as though I should be concerned but even using the sander I have a difficult time getting all of these areas sanded rough. I'm not sure where I've gone astray and how to recoup. Any advice would be in these areas would be greatly appreciated.
  • SARGE..g-47

Try a a semi stiff brush on the channels before the compressed air. I still have about 40 bd. ft. of wormy pecan from a batch of 4000 linear feet of pecan I milled for a client. I kept the wormy to make some boxes with. I have used it primarily so far for sacrificial fences for my Incra miter gauge as I change it once a week. Those channels do present a challenge.

I have finished some for a small chest but.. I had no problems wiith shiny spots that looked like finger-prints?

Good luck...

Comment

• TN DOC
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2006
      • Modoc,SC
      • Ridgid, 3650

Sarge;

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to wear gloves when I do the final sanding and use a pre-stain conditioner to try to avoid the shiny areas. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Good luck Doc.. send a PM to the results as I'm very curious as to how it comes out. I might make something with this wormy I have if they are good or I might just continue with fence use. I was making a new fence last night and noticed that there was fresh saw-dust in some channels on one piece.

Could be accumulation as I run machines in the shop about 4-5 hour a day or.. could be those little critters are still active as I have seen them in ambrosia maple. Nice treat to have one come crawling out for a little visit when you don't expect it.

Good luck...

Comment

• Carlos
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Sounds like you didn't have any dust collection while sanding? I've learned (the hard way) that dust removal on a sander is more than just for convenience. It greatly affects the results and the life of the paper. Now that I have a very good sander and I'm using mesh paper with a dust collector, the results are far better than what I used to get with a cheap sander, cheap paper, and no DC.

Comment

Working...