• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Trailer Sides

The time has come to replace the sides on my utility trailer. They are currently made of 1x4 PT and about 3' high. There is a top rail and a middle rail, so there are open sides. I've never liked that design since shorter/smaller pieces of lumber can slide out underneath the bottom rail unless they are tied down. Also, the bolts are about 1" too long and can scratch furniture, etc that is loaded into the trailer.

I don't think I want solid sides - too heavy. I want a bottom rail that sits on the deck to keep small stuff from sliding out. I will also add eye bolts to this for tiedowns. Any suggestions after this? I carry the trash cans to the dump every couple weeks and use it for lumber, building materials, furniture, etc.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I wouldn't put the bottom rail right on the deck. Raise it up 1/4" or so, to allow water to drain out.

I'm not able to envision how everything bolts together (are there wood verticals? steel?), but you could maybe use carriage bolts with the heads on the inside to eliminate the scratching problem. In the shorter lengths you will presumably need, 1/4-20 carriage bolts are available in 1/4" to 1/2" increments, so they shouldn't have to stick out too far on the outside.
    Larry

Comment

• messmaker
      Veteran Member
      • May 2004
      • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
      • Ridgid 2424

I used PT plywood for the sides. They are not that heavy. The sides were maybe 35#.
      spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
        • Dec 2005
        • Russell, NY, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Had the same problem and cured it this way. 1/2" pt ply and just boxed the inside of the rails. Left about 1/4" space along the bed for water draining. 1/2" is light enough but still strong. Carriage bolts with heads inside to secure panels. Works OK for loose stuff as well as small things. Hooks at each bottom outside corner to ty down a tarp if needed.
        RuffSawn
        Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• jhart
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

I wanted to have the sides on mine removable, as I stand the frame up for storage in the garage, so I made 4 sides out of 3/4" PT plywood and 2 X 4's going up the sides and corners. Each panel slides into the frame slot using the 2 x 4's. I found some corner slip in slots to tie the ends together. The panels get hung on the garage wall when not in use and the trailer can be used as a flat bed type or with the sides on if I hauling stuff.

Not the best looking trailer with sides I've ever seen, but very functional. (I made it in the garage, during the Winter when it was about 0-5 above out, so quickness rules over form).

During the Winter, I use it without the sides to haul a good sized snowblower around to my apartments. Made a couple of ramps out of remaining pt plywood.
          Last edited by jhart; 03-14-2009, 09:25 AM.
          Joe
          "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

There are currently wood verticals. Spacing the bottom rail off the deck is a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion. I am still not sure I want solid sides but it would be easy and quicker to do. I don't want to reuse the existing sides, they really are falling apart. For those who have solid sides, how tall are they? I am thinking max 24" since that will let me build it with 2 sheets of ply.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...