X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Moisture content

I posted last week about stock bowing after it had gone through the planer. The consensus was that there was too much moisture. What is the max moisture content stock should have to avoid this and other problems?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

6-10% is generally the range that is acceptable for wood working, as far as I know. I still say that when going down to 1/4" you may or may not be able to keep it flat. One trick is to joint and plane in stages, so that you joint it, then plane it down a bit over sized, then give it some time to relax into whatever shape it wants to be in, then re-joint and plane it to final dimension.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

Thanks Keith. I'll try that trick next time I need stock that thin.

Anyone use Harbor Freight brand moisture meters. I know Rockler is having a sale right now but HF is still cheaper and much closer to me. Besides the Rockler one seems to only go as low as 10%.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96472
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

i think with moisture its not whats right, its what is even, balanced and stable.
        When wood dries unevenly, it warps, that is because moisture leave one side quickly an the other side slower or not at all.
        I think what they quote for normal covers 10-20%, that's what it'll hit if left alone and dries evenly, then it'll be more or less stable. Wood always breathes some as conditions change.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
          • Nov 2004
          • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
          • Delta Contractor Saw

I didn't see your other post but I have had milled stock cup on me when laid flat on a surface without stickers for even air flow.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

The HF meter does have a low scale, but for that money I would have my doubts as to its accuracy.

Comment

• phrog
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2005
              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by jussi
              Thanks Keith. I'll try that trick next time I need stock that thin.

Anyone use Harbor Freight brand moisture meters. I know Rockler is having a sale right now but HF is still cheaper and much closer to me. Besides the Rockler one seems to only go as low as 10%.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96472
              I have used the HF Cen-Tech Moisture meter for about two years. It works. About its accuracy, I can't say except that it appears to work. The range is 7 - 35 % with an accuracy (according to HF) of + or - 1%. The low scale goes from 7 to 15% and the high scale goes from 16 to 35% but skips 17,23,26, and 28-34. Therefore, I don't know how they can say the accuracy is + or - 1%. If it were a tool I would use often and I needed certainty about the readings, I would buy a more expensive meter.
              Richard
              Richard

Comment

Working...