• Show
Clear All
  • fastfoodkills
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2008
    • Saugus, CA
    • BT3000 bought in Y2K; Replaced w/ Steel City cast iron 3 HP

Saw Blades: Miter vs. Table?

I was given a Ridgid 60 tooth 10" saw blade which is labeled for a miter saw and was hoping to use this for obtaining better quality cuts on 3/4 plywood for cabinets. I didn't know there was a difference between a table saw blade and a miter blade. Will this work on the BT3000 or am I asking for trouble? The blade looks fairly rugged and is peened with little dimples and also has what appears to be a "standard" kerf. I'm going by memory, but I think the speed rating was ok too.
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

The only real difference that I know about is hook angle. You do not want to use a negative hook angle on a table saw. Typically sliding miter blades have a negative hook angle.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Keith - drumpriest is correct, if it has a negative hook angle the blade will push down the wood on miter saw cuts (good) but tend to lift the wood off the table on table saws.(bad).

if you don't know how to tell, lay the blade on a table with the cutting direction clockwise. Lay a ruler on the blade so that an edge of the ruler lines up with the leading cutting edge of any tooth at the top of the blade. If the edge passes to the right of the center hole it its a negative hook blade, if it passes to the left of the center hole then the blade is positive hook.

Here's an illustration of a very positive hook angle. The blade is facing the opposite direction of what I describe above.
      The rightmost line is a line thru the center of the blade (arbor hole), the left line is the angle of the face of the tooth.
      A negative hook angle would actually lean to the right instead of the left.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-01-2009, 01:32 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Ditto what was said as standard miter saw and TS blades have positive hook. SCMS's need negative hook for the reason Keith and Loring mentioned. If it has positive hook which is likely... use it..

Comment

• fastfoodkills
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2008
          • Saugus, CA

It looks like the blade has a zero degree hook rating. Am I correct in assuming it's designed for both the miter saw as well as a table saw in this case? Thanks for the input.
          Last edited by fastfoodkills; 03-02-2009, 03:28 AM. Reason: sp.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by fastfoodkills
            It looks like the blade has a zero degree hook rating. Am I correct in assuming it's designed for both the miter saw as well as a table saw in this case? Thanks for the input.

If in fact it is a zero hook angle it would be considered a crosscut blade. You might check it more closely. I would use that blade for either. IMO, a recommended hook for crosscutting doesn't mean it can't be used for ripping, and vice versa.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

0* hook.... I would check it again very closely. Most cross-cut blades will have around 15* degree positive even though I have seen a few that were 10degrees or under. But.. I have never seen one a 0* degrees. With that said a standard SCMS with negative hook will only be about -5* negative.

That's why I mentioned checking again as it will only have a very slight slant rear-ward at 5* in lieu of forward and 5* is very hard to detect with the naked eye.

Good luck..

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
                0* hook.... I would check it again very closely. Most cross-cut blades will have around 15* degree positive even though I have seen a few that were 10degrees or under. But.. I have never seen one a 0* degrees. With that said a standard SCMS with negative hook will only be about -5* negative.

That's why I mentioned checking again as it will only have a very slight slant rear-ward at 5* in lieu of forward and 5* is very hard to detect with the naked eye.

Good luck..

Here ya go.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by cabinetman
                  Thanks for the link Cabinetman, as I have never seen one with 0* degree tilt but... I have now! I seem to not be having a good morning and will retire to the shop which is where I probably belong in the first place.

Comment

• fastfoodkills
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2008
                    • Saugus, CA

The Rigid blade definitely has a zero degree hook noted on the package. I will check it using Loring's procedure as well. So in this case, I guess it should be ok for the tablesaw for cross-cutting, I would assume.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Commonly, i think, blades that have a 10-20 degree hook angle, 20 degrees being very agressive and 15 being mid, for fast ripping blades. These should not be used in a miter saw, only a table saw for ripping, and they don't even make that good of a crosscut. They'll usually have 20-30 teeth, good for ripping.

Some combination blades tend to have middle tooth counts, 40-50 and a hook angle around 10 degrees for both ripping and cross cutting on table saws, these could be used but are generally not the best for miter saws.

Blades with 60-80 teeth are generally for crosscutting, they make smooth clean cuts cross grain. Hook angles run from about +5 to -5 degrees. The positive ones are IMO intended for table saws as they put just a bit of down pressure on the cut, and the negative ones for miter saws so that they also put a bit of down pressure on the cut (remembering that the blade is on top in a miter saw and on the bottom in a TS).
                      A zero hook angle is a bit of a compromise, again, IMO, in that its sort of neutral for both crosscutting on a MS or TS. Neither lifts or pushes down for either one... in that case you must be careful and provide this down force.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• fastfoodkills
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2008
                        • Saugus, CA

Thank you all for the input. This has been very educational.

Comment

Working...