X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Planer causing bowing

I got some rough stock I ripped to about 1/2" x 2" . After jointing and planing I'd want to get to 1/4". I jointed one surface and got it nice and flat. I ran it through the planer and it came out bowed. I don't have much experience with jointing or planing yet. Is that common? Also I just changed the knives on the planer. Could I have screwed something up? It's a DW735. I also noticed the extension tables are exactly planar with the bed. They were only about 2 ft long so I figured that couldn't have affected it much.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

did you plane all the material off of one side?
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

I jointed one surface flat and put jointed surface down on the planer. When I say surface I'm referring to the 2" portion and side as the 1/4".

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

did you remove relatively equal amounts of material form the jointed side and the planed side during the processes. I haven't experienced it myself but I have always been told that if you remove more material from one side it will tend to bow.

on the other hand, wood has internal stresses, anytime you cut it you are releasing those stresses. it might just be part of the wood's structure. at least it is thin and you can bend it into place for assembly.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• jussi
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007

I probably planed more material than I jointed.

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Originally posted by jussi
            I probably planed more material than I jointed.
            Thats probably the reason. The best technique (at least the one I use) is first to mark one face with pencil or chalk lines and joint until it is flat. Reference that jointed face on the bed of the planer and after making similar marks on the opposing face run it through the planer until it is flat. Then alternate faces through the planer until you get the thickness you desire.

If you are simply truing a board it usually wont be a problem but If you take off a lot more from one face than the other you will have a moisture imbalance and it could warp. I have had this happen.

Whenever you mill stock its advisable to mill it slightly oversize and then leave it to adjust to the shop conditions. Then check it again before use and mill it down to final dimension.
            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

are you sure the planed board was flat and not bowed coming off the jointer?
              Usually a planer is just a thickness planer and if the board is not flat to begin with it won't make it flat, just uniform thickness.

Maybe your jointer needs adjustment.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

Well...at 1/4", I'm thinking it's a toss up. I've had a lot of problems going that think without it bowing out of shape due to the loss of the internal stresses that had the thing staying flat at 1/2".

Just my personal experience.
                Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

Originally posted by drumpriest
                  Well...at 1/4", I'm thinking it's a toss up. I've had a lot of problems going that think without it bowing out of shape due to the loss of the internal stresses that had the thing staying flat at 1/2".

Just my personal experience.
                  +1 on that. And for whatever reason, I've had more trouble with maple than other species.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

You didn't mention species.. if you took it straight from the joiner to the planer.. the moisture content and if it was flat sawn or quarter-sawn as I have no doubt you flattened one side before you planed it. All those will come into play IMO.

I re-saw often and it is not unusual for some species to come off the BS bowed if they have a lot of mositure exposed and they are re-sawn thin. You open up the stock to fresh wood where moisture has been trapped and if there is internal stress as the guys mentioned.. the stress release will show it's ugly head immediately.

I have seen some stock re-sawn from a flat 1/2" to 1/4" or under that was flat when planed or re-sawn.. but hours latter it would bow as it reacts to moisture release. Internal stress will show early.. fresh exposure to moisture or lack of... can take hours or a day depending on humidity and temperatures.

So.. I think what you have is normal and directly due to one of the above mentioned reasons it could bow. I ran 200 linear feet of Spanish cedar at 8% moisture content.. 11" wide for a friend that uses it for humidors for re-sell as he doesn't have a BS. This was sliced and diced from just over 1" into 1/8" veneers. No bow two weeks latter as Spanish Cedar is very stable.

I re-sawed some QSWO and no cup to speak of at 3/16". But.. flat sawn red oak.. white oak.. pine.. maple are more likely to bow when flat sawn. Just the way it is IMO and you learn to deal with it. I may suggest turning the bow side up and let it acclimate a day or so. The bow may come out.. it may partially come out.. or you may have to just deal with it.

Good luck...
                    Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2009, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• jussi
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      are you sure the planed board was flat and not bowed coming off the jointer?
                      I checked the flatness of the boards after they were jointed and they were good.

You didn't mention species.
                      It's Mahagony. But it was stored outside for quite some time when I got it and I'm pretty sure was rained on.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

It's Mahagony. But it was stored outside for quite some time when I got it and I'm pretty sure was rained on.
                        Aha! you didn't mention that either.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jonmulzer
                          • Dec 2007
                          • Indianapolis, IN

That is what is causing your problems. It needs to be air dried. It is the difference in moisture that is causing it. When it gets stored outside, untarped, the moisture gets into the board pretty deep. Then it only dries on the outside and the inside retains a lot of moisture.
                          "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• jussi
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007

I have it in a dry location now but the person I got it from left it in the open. I'm not sure how long he had it that way. What am I looking at time wise to get it reasonably dry. If I have time today I may pick up of those moisture meters from Rockler. What % should I shoot for?

Comment

• drumpriest
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                              • Powermatic PM 2000

6-10% is about right for most wood working. If you got one of the 20$ ones, they only read down to 10%, so if you don't get a reading, then you are probably ok. If it reads above 10%, I'd like it dry some more.
                              Keith Z. Leonard
                              Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...