X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Glue for melamine?

What type of glue do you use for melamine and mdf?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

roo glue is specifically for melamine surfaces. otherwise regular wood glue.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Yellow glue works good for MDF and particle board. Melamine joints will benefit by doing shallow dadoes and rabbets, like 1/8", just to get a glue joint, and in those you can use PVA or aliphatic resin glues.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

Titebond makes a white glue for that called, Titebond Melamine Glue. It dries sort of translucent-white. Sticks to the Melamine better that just yellow glue but not as well as an epoxy. However the Melamine surface itself can peel off of the particleboard so no glue on the Melamine surface is structurally sound. As mentioned a dado joint even only a 1/16" is much stronger and then you can just use your yellow glue if you like.

I found Titebond Melamine Glue at a Woodcraft store, one advantage even in the dado joint is the sort of white glue line blends with the surface.

Bill,

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

On the few occasions I have glued up Melamine I did the dado skim trick, and used Gorilla Glue. That stuff works great, but is a pain to handle sometimes...

For pretty much everything wood, MDF, particleboard etc... I have been using Titebond II with good results. I have Gorilla Glue and use it for exterior projects, or stuff that I know is going to get a LOT of abuse. LOML's step stool is glued up with gorilla glue.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Originally posted by cabinetman
            Yellow glue works good for MDF and particle board. Melamine joints will benefit by doing shallow dadoes and rabbets, like 1/8", just to get a glue joint, and in those you can use PVA or aliphatic resin glues.
            +1 for good ol' yellow glue. Hasn't failed me yet for melamine or MDF.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Skinning the melamine with the shallow dado works good, and makes placement and clamping much easier than a gooey, loose joint sliding around while wet.

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                Skinning the melamine with the shallow dado works good, and makes placement and clamping much easier than a gooey, loose joint sliding around while wet.

I have the book on melamine joinery by A. Kinsey, that explains this condition...pages 202-288.

Comment

• jziegler
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Salem, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I have the book on melamine joinery by A. Kinsey, that explains this condition...pages 202-288.
                  Is that the same Kinsey that there's a movie about?

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2007
                    • Tacoma, WA
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by jziegler
                    Is that the same Kinsey that there's a movie about?
                    a dirty mind is a joy forever

Comment

• cabinetman
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                      As mentioned a dado joint even only a 1/16" is much stronger and then you can just use your yellow glue if you like.

Bill,

For those shallow rabbets/dadoes, I found from experience that a depth like 1/16" will work by getting exposed substrate, but it presents itself as easily damaged when dry fitting parts or during assembly. I tried that depth and found that a 1/8" depth works well in providing more shoulder for the rabbet/dado, and being deep enough to offer some protection of the melamine edge from getting chipped off. And, if the male part has any chipping, it may get hidden. Just my .02 cents.

Comment

• poolhound
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • Phoenix, AZ
                        • BT3100

are you trying to glue the MDF to the smooth face of the melamine or talking about glueing to the exposed particleboard substrate on the edges or inside dadoes/rabbets?
                        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                        techzibits.com

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2007
                          • Tacoma, WA
                          • BT3000

For those shallow rabbets/dadoes, I found from experience that a depth like 1/16" will work by getting exposed substrate, but it presents itself as easily damaged when dry fitting parts or during assembly. I tried that depth and found that a 1/8" depth works well in providing more shoulder for the rabbet/dado, and being deep enough to offer some protection of the melamine edge from getting chipped off. And, if the male part has any chipping, it may get hidden. Just my .02 cents.
                          good point.
                          I was thinking in terms of a butt joint where the dado is really only removing the melamine and not really making a joint. With light sanding of the dado and the edge of the mating piece a 1/16 dado saves you trying to make a dado that is 1/32 over 3/4. It is after all melamine and not fine cabinet work.

I know I shouldn't use junky technique when making junk but I save my energy and sanity for things that I take pride in.

Bill, over here on the other ocean

Comment

• jussi
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007

Sorry for any confusion guys. I'll be making a router table using a couple sheets of mdf and top it with a melamine. So I'm asking what type of glue to use to join a melamine sheet to mdf.
                            I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2007
                              • Tacoma, WA
                              • BT3000

Ah a lamination. I would suggest contact cement. But.... if you think you my at some time want to replace the Melamine top you could just screw it together from the bottom. The other way is to use 3 layers of MDF and cover it with a plastic laminate like Formica. The Formica would wear much better than the Melamine and if you are going to have to buy the Melamine the laminate in a small piece may be about the same price.

Bill

Comment

Working...