• Show
Clear All
  • RyFitz13
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Terryville, CT, USA.
    • BT3100

Pocket holes or Half-lap joints?

I'm going to be assembling a fold-up assembly table from a design I found in an old woodworking magazine (I forget which - maybe American Woodworker?). The design basically calls for a 1x4 back rail with 1x4 legs attached, via half lap joint, with two "wings" attached by hinge that have the end rails and front legs, also attached via half lap joint. The top gets attached to the back rail with a 270-degree hinge, and cleats attached to its underside keep the wings in proper alignment when the table's up.

So, I was wondering - would pocket screws possibly be a strong enough joint here, or am I just thinking lazy? I know it'd go together much quicker, but I'm not sure whether the joints would be strong enough...

Thoughts?
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Where strength is required, I wouldn't trust pocket screws. Had too many blow out.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Half lap. Once you set up, half lap joints go pretty quick. Much better joint.

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

I like half laps but I think I would do dowels. I can do dowels pretty fast with my Rockler jig.

Comment

Working...