• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

benefit of anodized aluminum

I was going to buy some stuff from woodpecker including some miter rtack but they just went non-stock on the miter track.

I emailed them and they told me they do have some but it is not anodized. They are still deciding wether to put it up on special or not.

Does anybody know what the anodizing does and wether one would care or not? Is it primarily a cosmetic finish.

I was getting the track for a new router table.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

anodizing adds a coating of aluminum oxide to the surface which makes it wear and corrosion resistant. dye is added to the anodizing process to give it color.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• SawDog
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2008
      • Pennsylvania
      • BT3000

Raw aluminum, when used in a "wear" type application (as in, anytime it rubs against anything else) has a tendency to mar the "other material". Usually a black mark. (aluminum dust? oxidation?).

I would be concerned about it leaving deposits on your work. Of course, you could have it powder coated, or possibly paint/wax it...I'm not sure how much of a problem it would be.

Most of my experience is with raw aluminum castings (not really applicable here) and aluminum extrusions used on whitewater raft frames. By the end of the day on the river, your hands are black from the raft frame.

Hope this helps.

Hal

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Raw aluminum is silver (in color). Left to the elements it sometimes forms oxides and other compounds with oxygen, hydrogen, salts etc, there are several aluminum oxides that can result. Some are crusty white and ugly leaving the material blotchy looking.
        THe black aluminum oxides rub off fairly easily and mark other materials.
        Anodizing is a electrolytic treatment and it passivates the aluminum so that it does not form additional oxides, the surface is treated and it is usually quite durable if not scratched, in which case raw aluminum will be exposed.
        Anodizing can also incorporate dyes, black, gold and clear are often used but red, blue green etc are also common.

i would not take unanodized t-track unless it will be hidden from view and even then if exposed to water and salts it may grow the ugly white crude on it.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-05-2009, 01:36 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

From Wise Geek:
          Many metals are structurally weakened by the oxidation process, but not aluminum. Aluminum can actually be made stronger and more durable through a process called 'anodizing'. Anodizing involves placing a sheet of aluminum into a chemical acid bath, quite often acetone in laboratory experiments. The sheet of aluminum becomes the positive anode of a chemical battery and the acid bath becomes the negative. An electric current passes through the acid, causing the surface of the aluminum to oxidize (essentially rust). The oxidized aluminum forms a strong coating as it replaces the original aluminum on the surface. The result is an extremely hard substance called anodized aluminum.

Anodized aluminum can be nearly as hard as diamond under the right anodizing process. Many modern buildings use anodized aluminum in places where the metal framework is exposed to the elements. Anodized aluminum is also a popular material for making high-end cookware such as frying pans and pots. Heat is distributed evenly across anodized aluminum, and the process of anodizing provides a naturally protective finish. It is possible to use another electroplating process to make anodized aluminum look like copper or brass or other metals. Special dyes can also be used to color the anodized aluminum for decorative uses.

Comment

• HarmsWay
            • Nov 2003
            • Victoria, BC
            • BT3000

In a place like Phoenix, raw aluminum would probably be fine. Humid coastal air is brutal on it though. So for Victoria or Houston - not good.

Bob

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

looks like it may be better to stick with an anodized miter track
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• maxparot
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Originally posted by poolhound
                looks like it may be better to stick with an anodized miter track
                Setting the miter track a fraction of an inch lower than the surrounding material will keep it from marring your workpiece. Lubrication can limit the wear.
                Opinions are like gas;
                I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

Working...