X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • master53yoda
    Established Member
    • Oct 2008
    • Spokane Washington
    • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

Finish for a crib

I am making a crib for my grandson and am down to which kind of finish to use. I have mostly used Watco's oil finishes on my projects, but am wondering if it is a problem for chewing on or if I should be using a different kind of finish. I have made the crib from well seasoned pine but they want a real dark finish so my intent was to use Watco's dark walnut and possibly follow it with something else.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

Well .. I'm in the process of final coats ...

on a crib I'm building for mid-March arrival of 2nd GrandChild ... I read about a jillion entries on the net about exactly the same question for exactly the same reason ... and came to the conclusion that as long as the finish isn't lead based ... just about anything is "ok" as long as "it is well cured before delivery" ... personally I used a wiped gel stain over white oak and am now on my 4th topcoat of wiped poly ... one or two more coats ... wait about 2 weeks and will consider it cured and ready for "consumption" ...

Seriously I was very concerned about the finish and what was safe and read many many comments and opinions ... I did come to the conclusion that other than lead based ... pretty much anything is ok if it is well cured ...

Bade
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• master53yoda
      Established Member
      • Oct 2008
      • Spokane Washington
      • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

Originally posted by BadeMillsap
      on a crib I'm building for mid-March arrival of 2nd GrandChild ... I read about a jillion entries on the net about exactly the same question for exactly the same reason ... and came to the conclusion that as long as the finish isn't lead based ... just about anything is "ok" as long as "it is well cured before delivery" ... personally I used a wiped gel stain over white oak and am now on my 4th topcoat of wiped poly ... one or two more coats ... wait about 2 weeks and will consider it cured and ready for "consumption" ...

Seriously I was very concerned about the finish and what was safe and read many many comments and opinions ... I did come to the conclusion that other than lead based ... pretty much anything is ok if it is well cured ...

Bade

Well that was where i was at i Just thought id see if anyone here had read otherwise thanks for the feedback
      Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Nearly all finishes are non-toxic when cured, as noted. If you wanted to be REALLY paranoid, just use salad bowl finish which is FDA-approved. Walnut oil, mineral oil, and coconut oil will not oxidize/turn rancid and are known safe. Coconut oil in particular is extremely stable. Shellac is so non-toxic that it's used as a pill coating. Tung oil itself is safe but most of the commercial products contain solvents and drying agents which are not safe.

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

Regardless of what finish you use, I would strongly suggest allowing it to completely off gas before parking a kid in it. 4 weeks or so for poly finishes.
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

It is true...let whatever it is cure. Our last German Shepherd had one favorite spot of base moulding that she liked to chew on. We put a little tabasco sauce on the area, which stopped her cold. Maybe they will come out with an additive for wood finishes that just make it taste horrible. It's great to protect the health of the baby, but what about damage to the woodwork?

Comment

• Carlos
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Some people mix chili powder into boat paint to discourage critters from attaching to the hull. If you're using a red stain, that should match nicely.

Comment

• mschrank
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2004
                • Hood River, OR, USA.
                • BT3000

Originally posted by Schleeper
                I just read something about this recently, but I'll be doggone if I can find where it was. Anyway, the answer is shellac, which is made from edible (!) natural resins. Reportedly, it's often sprayed on fruit and other food items to add shine, making them more appealing to consumers.
                It's also used to coat pills to make them easier to swallow.
                Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

Working...